Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation to check mailconnector

Evert Morren October 21, 2021

Some times our mailconnector fails. Therefore I tried to make two automation rules:

The first rule sends an email to the connector, with summary 'mailconnector check', this works.

The second rule must lookup if a ticket is created with the summary 'mailconnector check', if yes, the ticket must be deleted, if not then an email must be send to the admin.

How can I made a rule who is looking up for these specific ticket and if found it must be deleted.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Evert Morren November 1, 2021

Hi Bill, see below the details.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I have one ticket with the right description:

image.png

image.png

In this situation there won't be send an mail in my opinion.

After I deleted this ticket, the log file is:

image.png

Also in this situation a mail has been send. I don't understand what happens.

Regards.

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2021

Hi @Evert Morren 

That is an interesting use case to check for availability.  Well done!

To find your issue to delete, consider how to make it unique-enough to find while being different from people-created issues.

For example, perhaps put something in the summary you can test with a condition, such as "mail connector TEST issue".

Kind regards,
Bill

Evert Morren C October 21, 2021

Hi Bill, true, the summary must unique, but how can I search through the issue to find this specific issue?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2021

How many of these "canary" issues do you expect to exist at one time?  If only one then:

• trigger: issue created
  • condition: summary = "mail connector TEST issue"
  • action: delete issue

I recommend using a longer and more unique summary to reduce the risks of problems.

If you expect there to be multiple, and you want to remove them at one time, consider instead using a scheduled trigger rule with the JQL to find them:

project = myProjectName AND summary = "mail connector TEST issue"

Evert Morren October 25, 2021

Hi Bill, 

The trigger "issue created" doesn't work, if the mail connector doesn't work there is no issue. The trigger must be sheduled. I made a sheduled rule but get the error message:

image.png

It seems not possible to trigger a scheduled rule without a JQL statement? 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2021

Hi Evert,

Nope, you definitely can have a scheduled trigger rule without JQL.

And, are you using the Cloud or Server/Data Center version, as each has different batch processing options?  For example for Cloud:

• trigger: scheduled on the cycle you select
  • action: Lookup Issues with JQL replacing your project name and any other criteria
project = myProject 
AND summary = "mail connector TEST issue"
AND ...any other criteria
  • if/else condition: advanced compare condition: test for found issues with
    • first value: {{lookupIssues.size|0}}
    • condition: greater than
    • second value: 0
      • action: delete issue
  • else
    • action: send the email

This works for one-issue-found.  If you possibly have more to delete, you will need a branch with the JQL before the delete action.

Evert Morren October 28, 2021

Hi Bill, Thank you for reply.

I have made the rule you suggested, but still the same error.

image.png

It seems, it is not possible to do actions on an issue, without the option to run JQL?

I try it with two rules, the first one send a mail if these is no issue (mailconnector doesn't work), the second deletes the ticket if there is a ticket (mailconnector works). The first one doesn't work, what do I wrong?

image.png

Can you help me?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2021

Would you please post images of:

• the details of your Scheduled trigger, and
  • of the audit log for a run where it does not work as you expect?

Thanks!

Evert Morren November 1, 2021

Hi Bill, see below the details.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

If I create a ticket with the right summary, the lookup find the issue, bu also a mail will be send.

image.png

image.png

I don't understand what happens?

Regards.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2021

Ah!  Smart values are usually case sensitive, and unfortunately do not show errors when you get the case incorrect.  The smart value for Lookup Issues uses camel-case:

{{lookupIssues.size|0}}

Please change your condition and see what happens.

Evert Morren November 2, 2021

Hi Bill,

I have changed it, and it works now. Thank you very much for the support.

Regards,  

Evert

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events