Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation rule for Conversion - Original Estimate to Story Point - How to do it ?

Pierre VIAU March 18, 2022

Hello,

I'm taking care of the migration of one team from a Jira project where they were working with Original Estimate (using days), to a project where they will use Story points.

This is really to be done as a proxy: 1d = 1SP
Then team will refine and update if needed but I would like to ease their transition.

Any tip how to access those 2 fields and run a rule (one shot) to do the transition ?

I'm only beginner in Automation rules.

Many thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Colton.Kosicek March 18, 2022

Hey Pierre

have to share as a coach it is not the best practice of converting days to Points but thats not why you are here :) the automation is easy to do though

I would run the automation on change of field change for original estimate or time tracking change or on adding the story to sprint if you make the team estimate before adding to sprint

1. Field change --> "Original estimate field" or "time tracking" --> All transactions
  2. Field validation (use this if you need to validate any issuetypes or specific use cases prior to looping your story points)
  3. Field Validation --> If block
    1. First value = {{originalestimate.value}}
    2. Second Value = 1d
  4. Action for If block when true
    1. Edit issue --> Set value of story point field to 1 point
  5. Else block
    1. Repeat till completed with your values

Note unless you have strict values for original estimates you may want to do incremental values on the second value field in the descending order for your If loop.  Set your highest value first and loop down to 1 story point.  For example - this will help if you say 13 points should be anything over 80hours

1. 13 points > 80 hours
  2. 8 points > 60 hours
  3. 5 points > 40 hours
  4. 3 points > 24 hours
  5. 2 points > 16 hours
  6. 1 point >= 8 hours
  7. 0 or 0.5 point < 8 hours

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events