Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation rule - Add epic link

Audrey Artis February 2, 2021

Hello, 

I'd like to get some help with an automatic rules I'm trying to implement, hope you can help :) Here is the situation:

- I have a manual trigger in one of my project to create Enabler stories in ANOTHER project

- Those enabler stories are created in the project B and automatically linked to the original task/story/bugs etc. from project A with the mention "implements"

- On those enabler stories (from project B) I would like to add a condition to automatically add the Epic link and it should be the same epic link than the one from the project A 

I hope it's clear :) Hopefully one of you could help me with that !
Thanks a lot anyways!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2021

Hi @Audrey Artis  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You are describing a case where you want to trigger a rule from one project, create a new issue, and link it to an epic in the original project.  Is that correct?

If so, you definitely can do this with an automation rule.  Because this rule touches multiple projects, it will need to be a global rule.  There are limits on global rule execution counts so please check with your site admin for information.

Are you planning on executing this rule from the Epic or from a Story that is linked to the Epic?

For the first case, your rule would be something like this:

• Trigger: manual
  • Condition: issue type equals Epic
  • Action: create issue, setting the summary and any other fields.  To set the epic link, select the source as Current Issue

If you instead trigger the rule from a Story linked to the Epic, the rule would be:

• Trigger: manual
  • Condition: issue type is one of Bug, Story, Task
  • Related Issue Condition: epic exists
  • Branch: on parent epic
    • Action: create issue, setting the summary and any other fields.  To set the epic link, select the source as Current Issue

Best regards,

Bill

Audrey Artis February 2, 2021

Hey Bill,

I have already configured the first rule with the manual trigger.

The part I'm missing is the automation to add an epic link to the enabler story.

The epic link for the enabler story should be the same than the story that triggered the creation of the enabler. 

Thanks for your help!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2021

Hi Audrey,

Please try to set the Epic Link to the Current Issue when you create the new one.

If that works for you, please consider marking this question as answered.  That will help others in the community find solutions to similar questions faster.

Thanks,

Bill

Eloi Le Roux November 18, 2021

disregard this message, I resolved my issue

Jonathan Domanus June 23, 2023

how?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events