Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation possibility between JSM and JWM

Abhishek Shukla March 7, 2023

Hello everyone, 

I am a new Jira user and I was wondering if there is a possibility where when a new query is logged in the Jira Service Management then it gets cloned automatically into a project in Jira Work Management and any changes made in the query status or description is automatically reflected in the cloned task created in JWM? 

I did create automation that cloned the query from JSM to JWM but after that, any update that I made in the JSM query was not visible in JWM. 

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2023

Hi Abhishek - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, that is very easy to do with an Automation Rule. Create a rule based on an Issue Created trigger for the JSM project. Then add any conditions you need so that it only executes for the appropriate JWM project. 

Then add a new action for Clone Issue. Change the project to your JWM project and any other information that needs to be added or is different from the original request.

Then add a new Action to Link Issue. 

After that, same and publish the rule. 

You will need to create a second rule that keeps the Linked issues in sync. 

Hi John,

Thanks for the answer 👍

I was able to execute the first part of your answer but could not figure out how to execute the following while creating the automation rule -

Then add a new action for Clone Issue. Change the project to your JWM project and any other information that needs to be added or is different from the original request. 
Then add a new Action to the Link Issue. 

Could you please guide me on how I can execute the remaining part of the automation rule that you mentioned in your answer?

Thanks in advance!

download.png

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2023

It will look something like this:

Screenshot.png

Like Abhishek Shukla likes this

Thanks again John, finally it links the two issues across JSM and JWM. 

One last question - I made a comment on a query in JSM and changed its status to "In Progress" but this change is not reflected in JWM, therefore, I just wanted to ask you if it is possible to have automatic sync between these two issues or am I looking for too much in this case?

Thanks in advance!download.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2023

Can you post the rule that you created that copies the comment from one project to the other? 

Abhishek Shukla March 8, 2023

I am unable to create a rule that could achieve this, have tried multiple hit and trial combinations but sadly none of them are giving the desired results.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2023

Please share what you have so far so we can help you with the corrections. 

download.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2023

No, that's just to create the issue and then link them. 

You need a totally different rule for when a comment is added. Create a new rule with the Issue Commented trigger. 

Then add a Branch for Linked Issues. Choose the Link type if you have different ones for the JSM/JWM connections. 

Then add a new Action for Comment on Issue.

In the Comment box, put {{triggerIssue.comments.last.body}}

You can read more about smart values with comments here: 

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-issues/

Like Abhishek Shukla likes this

Hi John, based on your comment I created the following rule in the JSM project from where I want queries to get cloned to the JWM project. 

https://imgur.com/DGqRlRX

New queries logged in JSM are getting cloned in JWM but sync is still not working and in audit log of the rule the following message is displayed - 

https://imgur.com/llS0WSw

Am I missing something here or do I also need to create some rule in the JWM project where the JSM query is getting cloned?

https://cutt.ly/A8HXz79

Thanks again for all the input 👍

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2023

Uncheck the box for Only include issues that have changed. 

Hi John,

I unchecked the box but in the audit log it still shows the same message (https://imgur.com/llS0WSw) - No action performed.

I am now starting to believe that maybe there isn't any workaround possible. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2023

What exactly is the action that you are doing? And what is it that you are expecting to happen? 

Abhishek Shukla March 9, 2023

Hi John,

I finally got it working, I just had to move the automation rule to the global level in order to achieve the desired result. Thanks for the help!

0 votes
Kelley R April 5, 2023

Hi All, I'm working on a similar automation, but stuck on getting status to mirror across products using different workflows. Any thoughts?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events