Automation for JIRA Plug-In - Actor Override

Ivor Allchin January 17, 2023

When setting the details for an Automation Rule, it seems the only option for the Actor is to define a JIRA User in advance.

We have a use case where the Automation Rule needs to be dynamically executed under the User Account of the JIRA User whose activity triggered the automation event, rather than by a pre-defined user.

Is it possible to configure Rules using a variable, and if so can anybody share an example?

Many thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2023

Hi @Ivor Allchin ,

i’m not sure it’s the same in server, however, in cloud, you can change the actor under the automation rule details. An image of this is provided below. You have the option in the drop down to choose the user who triggered the event.

704DE00B-0681-48ED-9BF2-0B511F0FF88D.jpeg

Thanks @Jack Brickey for the quick response!

Yes, you can change the Actor on Server as you say, but only in advance of running the Rule and the value is hard-coded for every execution.

What we're after is to be able to put a variable value in the Actor field that is populated at runtime e.g. the Rule runs under 'CurrentUser()', for example.

We can't see a way of doing that...

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2023

Ivor, i guess I misunderstood. I thought that you wanted the actor to be set to whomever triggered the rule. Is this not the case? If not please explain which user would be set is the actor? I have added another screenshot that illustrates that you can select"User who triggered the event".

2023-01-17_08-03-28.jpg

Thanks @Jack Brickey - you're correct, that's the use case exactly.

I don't have that option, however - only the option to search for the named user:

Screenshot 2023-01-17 131158.png

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2023

Ugh yeah, this isn't available on Server/Data Center. Bummer. Here's the ticket for it:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JIRAAUTOSERVER-254

Like # people like this
Ivor Allchin January 18, 2023

Thanks @Darryl Lee

Shame it's not better news but appreciate the update and the link. 

Like Jack Brickey likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events