Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation Rule Error: Please select a valid project.

Kevin Paulus April 22, 2021

Automation for Jira version 7.2.8:

I am creating a  rule to create 6 sub-task issue types when a Story issue-type is created. 
I start with the Issue created trigger.   The condition is If Issue Type equals Story.

Then a      Create issue    component is added.  Its Project is set to Same Project, Issue type is Sub-task, and the Parent issue is the Trigger issue.

I then set the Summary and Labels field values.  I have selected to set the Assignee and Priority fields to Copy from Trigger issue.

I repeat this for all 6 sub-tasks.  I hit the Publish rule button and then enter the name of the rule and click the Turn it on button.

That's when I get the error Please select a valid project.

I get the same result if I change the Project selection to Same project as trigger  or select the project from the list of projects.

It all seems correct & relatively simple.
Any ideas on what is wrong & where are most appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2021

Hi @Kevin Paulus 

Just to confirm some things for context:

• You are using Jira Cloud, correct?
  • You are trying to create this a global rule, as a site admin, and then selecting one project?

If the answer to both of those is "yes", have you tried to create the same rule for a specific project, from one project's settings?

Best regards,

Bill

Hello Bill,
          No, I am in Jira Server 8.1.0  and this needs to be a project-specific rule.  This particular rule could only make sense in the one project.  

I start in the project > Project settings > Project Automation > Create rule.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2021

Thanks, Kevin!  Would you please post an image of your entire rule for some context?  Thanks!

And, would you please try to create another, very simple rule, and execute it?  That may rule-out other issues with your add-on.  Maybe something like:

• Trigger: manual
  • Action: log the issue key {{issue.key}}

I did successfully create & execute a Log Issue rule:  

but it was in a different project (one where I am the owner & actor.

Can I create automation rules in projects that I am not a member of?   We have over 300 projects and as a Jira instance admin, I do not want to have to wade through the minutia & nonsense of every project.  I suppose I could just have the project leads do their own automations, but what damage could they do to one another?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2021

I believe you need to be at least a project admin to create/maintain rules for a specific project.  As site admin, you could build and test a rule in one project, and then move/copy/re-assign it to the target project.  That is the process I use with our site admin when I am testing complex new rules in a test project when I do not want to impact the production team's project.

If you are making global rules to span all/multiple projects, you should be able to save a rule if you have necessary access.

Regarding cross-project issues, the project admins can administer rules only for what they can access.  So they cannot easily break other projects.  The exception...if they understand enough to do webrequests and call the REST API, they can certainly solve more issues and get into more mischief with other projects.  ;^)

Like Kevin Paulus likes this

Thank you Bill:

I came to that conclusion as I was returning to the project where the error occurred.  I have asked the project lead to attempt creating the rule he requested.  Hopefully he won't be as slow on the uptake as I was and not require a Zoom meeting for me to walk him through the process.  Actually, it is easy enough to do & I did see that the separation of rules between projects exists so the 300+ project admins can't cross-diddle each others' rules.  Thank you again!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
vikram monga October 11, 2021

can someone provide user manual?

vikram monga October 11, 2021

please let me know how to start the project?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events