Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation: Epic Labels to tasks

Harry Tye February 16, 2022

Hi there,

I am new to automation in Jira.  I see examples in this community to do this but it doesn't work for me.

I will show my example below.  Also is the theory once you add an automation that it runs automatically?  Like I label an Epic and it then should be added to each task in it?

Below doesn't work for me.

Help!

epicautomation.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2022

The rule needs to be enabled in order to run. There's a little switch that shows green in the top-right corner when a rule is enabled (when viewing the Rule Details).

The rule also has to be configured for the Jira Project(s) where these Epics and Story-level issues are located.

You should also look in the Audit Log to see if the rule ran, and if so whether there were any warnings or errors.

If all that looks ok, then please post a screenshot showing the configuration of your "Edit Issue" action.

Also, instead of the "If issue matches JQL" component, you should probably be using an "Issue Fields Condition" checking the "Issue Type". While the former will work (if configured correctly), the "Issue Fields Condition" is much more efficient (no JQL execution required).

Thanks for the reply.

Rules are enabled

I also see it configured for Jira Projects.

Audit log looks like it ran successfully and even shows the Epic ID and then it displayed the tasks but didn't change any of them.

Once I changed the "Issue type equals" then it doesn't run at all as the error says the Epic didn't meet the criteria.

epicautomation2.PNG

Here was the successful audit log from my initial automation using the JQL that still didn't update the labels on the tasks:

epicautomation3.PNG

Sorry quick update.  I changed Issue Type equals Epic.

Audit says success.

But still no labels updated.

Thoughts?

epicautomation4.PNG

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2022

Hi @Harry Tye 

How did you configure the final action? The action needs to be told "how the issue should be editted" (eg. see screenshot, guess that fits your requirement)

image.png

Best

Stefan

Thanks that was it.  It was blank.  Which is why i got no errors but nothing was completed.

I appreciate both your help.

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2022

Awesome. Happy to know your solution is working now ;)

Best
Stefan

Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2022

That's why I originally suggested you "post a screenshot showing the configuration of your 'Edit Issue' action."

I'm glad you were able to figure it out.

Like Stefan Salzl likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events