Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automated scheduled issue with children

Erin Gaunt July 28, 2024

Hi all, 

I have a BAU team that I want to build annual automated scheduled Initiatives/Features/Epics/Stories for.  I can't seem to get the logic to work to link all the children to their parents. I can get them all to trigger to create but not link them together, can anyone help?

Pic is an example of how I want to link themScreenshot 2024-07-29 105611.png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2024

Hi Erin,

Can you share a screenshot of your rule and exactly what is not working? 

Erin Gaunt July 28, 2024

Hi John, 

This is what I have so far, but I know I'm doing something wrong after the creation of the Initiative, I just don't know what to select! Screenshot 2024-07-29 133724.png

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2024

Thanks for sharing. You will probably need two rules. One to create the Initiative and it's Features. Then one to create Epics under the feature. 

So, Rule 1 creates the Initiative like you have it. Then follow the below (note that I use Objective where you have Initiative and Initiative where you have Feature):

Screenshot.png

In the parent field of the create Feature action use the name of the variable: {{parentIssue}}

Then create the second rule similar to the first (just copy the first and modify it) except based on an Issue Created trigger and add a condition for Issue Type = Feature and another other conditions needed so the Epics only get created those Features.

Like Trudy Claspill likes this
Erin Gaunt July 29, 2024

Thank you!  Got it to work.  Thanks John and Trudy :)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2024

Great! Glad you go it working. And you are welcome!

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2024

Hello @Erin Gaunt 

Are you working with Jira Data Center or Jira Cloud?

If Jira Cloud, what subscription plan do you have? Is it Free, Standard, premium, or Enterprise?

Have you modified the Issue Type Hierarchy to define the hierarchy you described?

Are all the issue going to be created in one project? Will they always be created in the same project?

Whenever you ask for help with an Automation run it will also be helpful if you provide screen images that show the entire rule plus the details of each step.

Erin Gaunt July 28, 2024

Hi Trudy, 

Working with Jira Cloud on a Premium plan.

Yes, issues are always to be created in the same, single project.

I can't get the rule to work, I've got as far as creating the scheduled Initiative and I can then create the next scheduled task of creating the feature, but I can't get the initiative to either parent the feature or the feature to child from initiative.

This is what I was working off, but it fails.Screenshot 2024-07-29 133724.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2024

I concur with @John Funk 's suggestion for two rules.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events