Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automated Transition Loop For Recurring Tasks

Aislin Percival January 4, 2023

My organization has some reporting and invoicing tasks that need to be repeated monthly. We don't like the build-up of clones that occurs when issue creation is simply automated, instead we just want the same issue to automatically transition back to TO-DO monthly (or in some cases weekly). 

So if I created a Monthly Reporting epic today for example, and I know that we need to start working on it on the 20th of every month, then that same epic would boomerang back to the TO-DO column every month on the 20th, or every week on Wednesday...something along those lines. 

Has anyone else created an automation like this? Please share how you did it. I am relatively new to the platform and eager to learn

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2023

Hi @Aislin Percival and welcome to the community!

For tracking and reporting, it's usually best to just have new issues each month.  Are you tracking this in a Kanban project?  If so, you may just need to adjust the configuration to drop resolved issues from the board after x amount of time.

If you're still of the mindset that you want to keep reusing the same issues, you could do something with automation:

• TRIGGER: Scheduled (Set up on 1st of every month or whatever works best for you)
    • "Epic Link" = YourEpicKey
  • ACTION: Transition Issue to To Do

Note - This assumes your project is company managed.  If you're working with a Team Managed project, you'll want to use replace "Epic Link" with Parent

Aislin Percival January 5, 2023

@Mark Segall Thank you so much!

So, we are on a team managed board currently while we work within on admin organization--to test your suggestion above this morning, I used "Parent"=TheEpicKey and it transitioned all of the child issues to TO-DO but not the epic itself. This was on an experimentation board I created where I had the Monthly reporting set up as an epic with children 

In a team managed board, does the issue we want on a loop basically just need to be a story/task/"not an epic"?

Again, thank you so much for your assistance. I am starting to understand things more.

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2023

If you want to include the Epic, you can change the JQL to this:

Parent = YourEpicKey OR Key = YourEpicKey
Like # people like this
Aislin Percival January 5, 2023

@Mark Segall Worked like a charm!

Have a great day :)

Like Mark Segall likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events