Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automate Original Estimation field

JH September 28, 2020

Hi,

How can I automate the field for original estimate?

I have WBS Gantt to input the start date and end date for a task, and duration is generated.

How can automate original estimate field based on the formula below? 

Original estimate = units * duration * 8

Where can I can find the value of original estimate (system) in JIRA?

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Sam Harding
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 30, 2020

Hi,

I'm not completely certain of your use case, but if you are wanting to set the 'Original Estimate' value on an issue, that can be done in 'Edit Issue' action, by selecting the 'Original Estimate' field in the drop down:

Edit Fields.png

The format it takes is a number followed by a unit character (for example, 2 days is 2d, 3 weeks 3w etc). If you have not yet calculated the duration value in your rule, you can use this smart value to generate the equation you are wanting:

{{#=}}{{issue.Start date.diff(issue.Due date).days}} * 8{{/}}d

By setting this as the value for the 'Edit issue' action, this will set the original estimate on your field to be 8 times the length of your duration, in days. If you wanted to use a different time scale, such as seconds, you could edit the smart value to be .seconds instead of .days, and update the last character to be 's' instead of 'd'.

I hope that helps, let me know if you were looking for some other information other than this.

JH October 1, 2020

Hi,

Sorry, let me explain again.

I have start date and end date from WBS.

1. What is the smart value i should include to calculate the duration excluding weekend and weekdays?

Then, after I got the duration (at no 1), what is the smart value I should write to have the formula below?Original Estimate = Duration * Units (from WBS) * 8

Because I want it to be automatically calculated based on the duration and units and work hour per day. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events