Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Update Subtask field upon creation based on parent issue

kiran_gangadikar March 11, 2024

Hello community,

I have the following case scenario that i'm fighting with. 
When I create a parent issue (e.g. user story), we have customised field "TeamX" as mandatory to be updated. Now, i would need this field to be populated on subtasks as well whenever i creat them.

The reason is manually do not want to update TeamX field each time when they create subtasks.

I would be great if you help with the automation of this.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dexter de Vera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2024

Create Automation:

When: Issue created

Condition: Issue fields condition - issuetype equals Sub-task

Condition: Related issues condition - Parent - Exists

Then: Edit issue - TeamX copy parent Issue

NOTE: both parent and child should have TeamX field.

This automation only copy the field when new subtask created have parent.

image.pngimage.png

kiran_gangadikar April 4, 2024

Hi @Dexter de Vera 

Thanks for the reply!

Yes i had tried this rule earlier, but the problem is "TeamX" is a mandatory field. So while creating sub task its going to ask for manual update. Is there a way to make this field mandatory only at parent level tickets and not the subtasks? If we have a way then this rule might work i think.

Dexter de Vera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2024

You can update the field upon creation of ticket in automation.

ACTION - Create issue - select the field - then copy  from parent issue.

Thanks for the reply, i created an automation and it creates sub task upon creation of parent ticket. This sort of fixes a problem, however if we have more subtasks while planning a sprint, the only option is to clone and then amend it accordingly right?

Please confirm.

Dexter de Vera
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2024

Yes. Also you can add the automation i show you before. When subtask created - parent exist - copy parent value. You can just assign any value when creation and it will auto update base on parent value. 

Like kiran_gangadikar likes this
1 vote
GNarsimhagowda - Empyra
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2024

HI @kiran_gangadikar ,

I have created a simple rule to copy the field hope this works for you.

2024-03-11_16h20_24.png

Thanks.

Hi @GNarsimhagowda - Empyra 

Thanks for the reply!

Yes i had tried this rule earlier, but the problem is "TeamX" is a mandatory field. So while creating sub task its going to ask for manual update. Is there a way to make this field mandatory only at parent level tickets and not the subtasks? If we have a way then this rule might work i think.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2024

HI Kiran - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Are you using the built-in Teams field in Jira? You said you have a custom field - what type of field exactly is it? Group picker? Multi-user picker? 

Hi John,

Thank you.

The customised field created is "TeamX" and the type is "Select list (single choice".

Also "TeamX" is a Mandatory field while creating tickets.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2024

Very good - that should make it very easy. Can you share the screenshot of your rule now? And what is missing/not working with the rule? 

Currently, i have setup automation rule as below -

This automatically creates sub task for parent issue and copies field value. So the rule is working fine if we consider each parent to have one sub-task. However, if we need to create more sub-tasks for a parent story, then we have to clone and amend them accordingly.

image.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events