Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Update Subtask field upon creation based on parent issue

Iavor Zayn December 21, 2022

Hello community,

I have the following case scenario that i'm fighting with. 
When I create a parent issue (e.g. user story) I populate a field called "Team". 
Once the parent issue is created, subtasks are then created. Each sub-task needs to inherit the team field value from the parent. 
The reason I need it is because we are using one board for two different teams. Each team has it's own swimlane. So I want the subtasks of the parent story to appear in the same swimlane. 

I would be great if you help with the automation of this.

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2022

Yes this is certainly possible. Have you attempted an automation rule as yet? It would look something like below.

• trigger - issue created
  • condition - type = subtask
  • condition - any other condition to ensure the action is only executed as desired
  • action - edit issue, choose your Team field and choose Copy from parent
Iavor Zayn December 22, 2022

Thanks! I havent noticed the option to COPY from parent

Like Jack Brickey likes this
0 votes
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2022

Hi @Iavor Zayn 

Is it a custom field called Team, or is it the Jira built-in Team field?

If it's the Jira built-in Team field, we ran into a problem with this situation because apparently Jira doesn't allow you to assign Team values to sub-issues - Jira "knows" that all sub-issues belong to the Team assigned to the parent.  We went back to our custom Team field when we found out about this the hard way.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events