Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding information to a Service Desk issue after it was submitted

Kuba Nowakowski May 23, 2024

Hi!

We use Jira Service Desk for our sales team to requests new product setups for customers. At some point in time after the Ticket is created, most likely when the issue transitions to a certain status, Sales should be asked to provide a link to a slack channel or a skype group and either add it to the ticket or add it in a comment.

They do not have that information at an earlier stage and there is no point in creating a new ticket or add a specific task for them (they already have too much staff to track).

What would be the best way to do it. We would prefer updating a field in a ticket than a comment.

Please advice!

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2024

it depends on what your workflow looks like. However, what I would suggest off the top of my head is that the issue be moved into waiting for customer or similar status where you as an agent request said information be submitted via a Form. if you need that to be in a custom field, then you can simply create one and map it to your form field. Read more about Forms here - use-forms-in-jira-service-management 

Kuba Nowakowski May 23, 2024

The form sounds like a great idea. How do I use it, meaning how do I send said form to the reporter so they can submit the required data? I am total newbie as you can see by my badge :-p 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2024

Hi @Kuba Nowakowski , I encourage you to peruse the link I sent to learn in greater detail how Forms work so it will make more sense. However, this specific excerpt tells you how an agent can add a form to an existing issue - add-a-form-to-an-issue

Like Kuba Nowakowski likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2024

Hi @Kuba Nowakowski and welcome to the community,

With Out of the box JSM you can't let the customer edit a Jira field after it has been created. There are apps in the marketplace which will allow you to do so. You can however do the same if you use Forms. You can re-open a form or attach a form when you reach a certain status. A customer can edit this form and submit it. The field in the form can be linked to a Jira field.

With automation for Jira you can add the form or re-open the form when it reaches the status you mentioned.

I hope this helps,

Rudy

Kuba Nowakowski May 24, 2024

The form sounds like a great idea. How do I use it, meaning how do I send said form to the reporter so they can submit the required data? I am total newbie as you can see by my badge :-p 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2024

Hi @Kuba Nowakowski , did my guidance above on this not help? I think the article explains the process clearly but maybe you are thinking of a different solution?

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2024

Hi @Kuba Nowakowski ,

Here a small guide to create the form

1. Create a Jira field in which you want to store the URL & place it on the screen you are using.
  2. Create the form > project settings > forms > create form > create blank
  3. Give the Form a name (e.g. Communication channel URL)
  4. Add field > URL > Change display name & description 
  5. Change linked Jira field, to the field created at step 1
  6. Save the form
  7. Go to automation > create rule
  8. Add issue transitioned trigger > To status: 'certain status'
  9. Add action > Attach forms > select the just created form > Visibility > External
  10. Add action > comment on issue > Give instructions to the reporter to add the URL
  11. Save the automation

What happens now is that when you reach the 'certain status', you mentioned, the form will be added to the issue, a comment with instructions will be added to the ticket. The reporter will add the URL and submits the form. And the URL is automatically available in the Jira field you created at 1.

Note that if you did not create the field at step 1, the data will not be in a Jira field, but is only available in the form, which in this case could be acceptable. But if you do this for other data and you want to create reports out of it, you need to link a Jira field.

I hope this helps!

Rudy

Kuba Nowakowski May 27, 2024

Thank you! Such a manual is gold. Already implemented and it works great! Much appreciated!

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2024

Hi Kuba - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Only JSM Agents are able to update fields once the ticket has been created. There is an open request for this functionality that should vote for and follow. 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-93

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events