Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create email automatically

Kerolos Ashraf March 20, 2022

is there any service or app in Jira, when I create a ticket for the onboarding, take a first name and last name and create a 365 user and email?

1 comment

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2022

Hi @Kerolos Ashraf 
Welcome to the community.

I take you want to name a person (who is to be onboarded at the organisation you work at) in Jira and have that automatically create a Microsoft account/email for them? 

I'm sure this could be done, but as far as I am aware, there is nothing "out of the box" that you can purchase for this. Not surprising really, as there are so many variables that would need to be taken into account.

Kerolos Ashraf March 21, 2022

can you explain how can I do that?

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2022

Maybe.....I can have a go at a theoretical based on some assumptions.

Assumptions:

• The new people do not exist in your Jira instance
  • nor do they exist in your identity provider (let's say that is Microsoft's Active Directory for this exercise)

Create an Employee issue type and a set of custom fields that align with mandatory field to create a new account within AD (or whatever you use), let's say;

• First name
  • Last name
  • Full name (or do a concatenate of first&last name)
  • email
  • Dept
(you get the idea)

Then you could either hook this up via API to send the info to be consumed by AD or make use of an automation rule (in Jira) to send the relevant issue data via an outgoing webhook (via the Send web request action)

web.png

Then there would need to be work done on the AD side to consume the data and automatically create the new account.

The devil in the detail being, then add to them to which groups? Do you have role based access (in which case they would need to be loaded and maintained in Jira), What about security (on the Jira end) to control who can create these employees?? How is onboarding done currently and who has the capacity to create such an integrated and automated set-up??

I've only scratched the surface, but in my mind it is very doable, but how big a piece of work, thus much mush time and money it would cost is over to you and your teams/dept/organisation

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events