The Team field/s and Automation when using Product Discovery

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2021

⚠⚠ Since getting involved with the new Product Discovery template in Jira Premium cloud, We now have an confusing and automation ruining situation.

The Product Discovery "Team" field is available in the "Edit Issue" action in Automation for Jira, but this confuses the existing "team' fields JSON that we use to populate the team field based on Reporter.

Note: In the below screenshot I have added the "Team" field and populated with the Product Discovery demo team entries as well as leaving our (shared) Team JSON in the additional fields section. But the highlighted error occurs regardless of whether the "Team (checkbox)" field (as JQL calls it) is selected or not.

team auto.png

I've raised this with the Product Discovery folk, but wanted to make the Automation for Jira community aware of the confusion (and potential breaking of Automation rules) associated with the introduction of a second field call "team" when you evoke a Product Discovery template/Project.

I have suggested they consider changing their "Team" field to "Teams" seeing as it is a multi-select and the Advanced Roadmaps based (shared) Team field is not, to help avoid confusion.

Note: How they in JQL below

jql23.png

Hopefully this is a helpful warning to others and hopefully can be resolved soon, as other than this situation Product Discovery is a very cool new addition to the Atlassian suite.

1 comment

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2021

Hi @Curt Holley 

Thanks for the information.  If you call the REST API with an example issue to check the smart values, is there a JSON path which leads to making the Team fields unique?  Or, are they truly at the same scoping level within the issue?

Best regards,

Bill

Like Curt Holley likes this
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2021

Thanks @Bill Sheboy great suggestion, but I can only access the API from the office.

But!!! the answer is embarrassingly simple. You can change the name of the field...in the UI (insert Homer Simpson "D'oh!" here). 

Thanks to @Tanguy Crusson for the revelation.

https://www.loom.com/share/26cd00f2c5f94b848b90ed91ee6f7418

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events