Replacement for Jira Automation

Andy September 22, 2021

I love Jira automation. However, we easily hit our limits within a couple of days of our usage cycles each month. Has anyone found an automation app that replaces the native Jira Automation? 
I know I could make all my rules for individual projects, but that would require me duplicating the rules over 100x and likewise creating a 100+ rules each time I make a new automation.  I've tried a couple from the Marketplace but all seem to greatly lack. 

thanks for any thoughts.

7 comments

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2021

Have you considered upgrading to Jira premium? That would resolve the "limits' issue you are facing as well as add features like Advanced roadmaps.

We ditched 2 apps (one automation based, the other a portfolio view of JIRA content based one) to cover the costs of premium and have never looked back!

Jira Software Premium | Atlassian

Like # people like this
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2021

For reference (from the Jira Pricing page):

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 4.08.55 PM.png

The example above illustrates a 400x expansion of "automation limits" going from the Standard plan to the Premium plan.

You might want to review the Jira Plan grid (linked above) to see other features that might have value for your organization at the Premium plan level. If you have over 100 teams, make a case for other features like Advanced Roadmaps, Capacity Planning, Archiving, better Support, and Sandbox features, as well as eliminating automation limits.

Like Curt Holley likes this
Andy September 23, 2021

@Mykenna Cepek thanks. I've wanted to upgrade, but it would increase our bill by just over $100/mth. We're not a large team, just a lot of projects. We can't justify that cost.

Like paotest likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2021

Addon options…

Scriptrunner

Power Scripts

Automation Unlimited for Jira

JSU Automation Suite

you will need to assess these against your requirements to see which one might fit best. Obviously a trial is always an option. 

Like # people like this
Andy September 23, 2021

Thanks.
JSU didn't seem to allow for global rules. 

I'm still hopeful for Automation Unlimited, I've been talking to their support trying to get some of my automation ported over.

Scriptrunner looks good, but cost is a little high for us. I might just have to trial it and then see if the ROI. 

I don't think I tried Power Scripts. Cost is a little more than I'd like, but not too high. 

thanks.

Grigorios Charamidis _Appfire_ September 23, 2021

I would suggest you to try JSU Automation Suite, it provides a very easy way to do automation through the UI

Andy September 23, 2021

@Grigorios Charamidis _Appfire_  the problem I had wit JSU was that there were no global rules. At least none that I could find. All automation were on a per/project basis.

Ryan Rules {Appfire} September 23, 2021

Hey @Andy , depending on your needs there's a variety of Marketplace apps that might fit the bill. When you say that the apps you've tried already "seem to greatly lack" could you expand on that? For example Is it due to a lack of specific features or how easy-to-use they are in comparison to built-in Automation? I believe that most add-ons don't cap how many automations you can build or run regardless of your Jira tier (especially those under the Appfire portfolio) so there are options out there if Premium is not for you. Thanks

Andy September 23, 2021

@Ryan Rules {Appfire}  .  The main issues I have are:
JSU doesn't seem to support global rules (which is my whole purpose in switching)
Automation Unlimited doesn't seem to support some of the nested linking between issues and conditionals. For example, I have a rule that comments on blocked issues and emails the assignees. I can't seem to find in Automation Unlimited where I can find all linked issues with type "blocks" and then perform actions on those issues. I've contacted their support, but haven't gotten any clarity on this yet.
I think Scriptrunner or PowerScripts might suit me best, but those seem to require a little bit of a learning curve with having to write out the automation and have a little more cost to them. I'm fine with the learning curve in the long run, but I just really like the UI and ease of using the native Jira Automation. Nothing seems to be so clean and easy to use as it.

I also have Jira Misc Workflow Extensions installed right now to give it a whirl.

thanks!

Like Ryan Rules {Appfire} likes this
David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2021

@Andy JMWE does support "global rules" (in the form of event-based actions), although I would still recommend workflow post functions instead of global rules (event-based actions) wherever it makes sense, as it makes workflows easier to read (everything is in one place).

And JMWE is also an Appfire portfolio app, so whether you pick JSU, JMWE, or both, our support teams will be happy to help!

Andy September 23, 2021

thanks for the follow up. I'm trying JMWE out now. I'm fine with workflow post functions since all the projects that I would want to share automation, also share the same workflows.

Julia Shcherbyna _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 24, 2021

Hi @Andy 

Here is an article that may be useful to you How to optimize business processes in Jira

Try to use the new add-on BPM (Business Process Manager) developed by my team. It has other functions than automation, but it helps when you’re working with repetitive processes. 

The add-on allows:

• create a template, based on steps need to finish the process:
  • add instructions, checklists, form need to submit, assignee and project to each step:
  • run the process based on a template by one click once you need:
  • monitor progress of all active processes.

240438792_395103512025100_3647083024971452640_n.png

There is a video tutorial on the page in the marketplace that clearly explains how it works. 

If you have any questions about this add-on be free to ask me.

Hope it is useful for you.

Regard

Like Andy likes this
cmmata October 14, 2021

Depending of what kind of automation you are using, maybe you can find useful to go with an external automation platform. I personally use Integromat and it has a nice integration with Jira. Maybe it cannot reproduce all the automated actions you have, but it can shorten the amount of executions in JA. 

Like Andy likes this
Natalya Ozhigova April 25, 2022

If it still actual for you, but may be it helps someone else. May be you can use another trigger, for example schedule trigger. It can decrease the amount of execution. but of course it fit to case when  instant reaction is not so important. 

Like Andy likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events