Converting Story Point Estimate to Story Points when migrating Team-Managed to Company-Managed

Riley Sullivan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2022

Hello,

I'm hoping that this will be useful for anyone who are migrating from team-managed to company-managed Jira and needing to convert their historical story point estimate to the native Story Points field in their new company-managed Jira project(s). If this has previously been addressed or shared, I apologize in advance. It took me a while to figure this out on my own, and I was unable to find a solution searching online.

I am aware that the way our projects are organized perhaps isn't totally aligned with Agile etiquette :) 

Part 1

Getting the Story Point Estimate value moved to your new Company-Managed Jira project

Note: You do need to have admin privileges in Jira

After you have set up the basics of your new company-managed Jira project. When configuring your field screen, be sure to include the story point estimate field.

You are effectively mapping the "team-managed story point estimate" field to your "company-managed story point estimate" field when you add this field to the project. Thankfully this value does transfer to the new project, which it sounds like it historically hasn't from reading community threads.

Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 1.45.32 PM.png

Once you have moved your issues over to the new company-managed project you can move to the next step.

Step 2

Converting Story Point Estimate to Story Points

In the new company-managed project, you will need to build an automation. Even though the story point estimate value is numerical, the new project doesn't completely recognize it as such. So, in order to partly deceive your automation, you will need to create a smart value equation.

Below is the automation, I created it to be scheduled, and then manually 'Run rule' in the project to have a little more control.

SCHEDULE rule to execute

Then EDIT ISSUE FIELDS

Select STORY POINTS field

Set ({{issue.Story point estimate|0}}*1)

Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 2.08.12 PM.png

Then run the rule manually, or let it run on a schedule. The story point estimate field is copied to your Story Points field after it is finished. You may now delete the story point estimate from your project and use Story Points in its place.

Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 2.08.45 PM.png

I am aware that this is fairly specialized niche and might not apply to a bigger group. But I figured I'd write this to aid anyone in my situation!

4 comments

Randi Rogers February 10, 2023

Thank You Thank You Thank You! 

I was banging my head against the wall trying to figure this out. 

Like Riley Sullivan likes this
Riley Sullivan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2023

@Randi Rogers Glad this added value to someone else :)

Like Tyler Kosaski likes this
Tyler Kosaski
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2023

Unfortunately, I think this applies to more situations than you think! My team will be using this information to copy story point estimates from a team-managed JWM to a company managed JWM. Thank you!

Like # people like this
lorenzo_betto December 8, 2023

For some reason I get this error:

auto error.png

lorenzo_betto December 8, 2023

Found the solution for me! I was writing Set in the value but actually that was making the value non-numeric. This worked for me:

auto sol.png

Diana Silva
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 16, 2024

Hello everybody 😁
Its my first contact with Jira and I tried this advices, but in my case I need solve another problem before it works. I have this messages for the field Story Points and the automation failed because that. We have 3 projects running with the same scheme. For 2 projects this field is not necessary. Any thoughts?
error.png

Diana Silva
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 16, 2024

I just needed permissions. I solved the problem 😉

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events