Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request input from users when a Manual rule is triggered

62 comments

Tindur Hafsteinsson November 2, 2023

@Charlie Gavey my feedback is very much aligned with @Tom Hudgins, with few extended needs, but listing the overlapping ones as well:

I'm thinking in the context of the Cloud license options.

1) As a...

• Automation Rule creator...,
    • I would like to be able to use any of the standard-Jira-fields available
    • and/or based on the corresponding field-configurations-scheme being used,
  • so...,
    • I have an opportunity to apply my custom validation on the input provided
    • and as applicable modify that user-input based on my needs
      • (e.g. apply text rules, formatting etc.).

2) As a...

• I would like to be able to use any of the existing custom-fields available in my Jira instance,
    • and/or the corresponding field-configuration-scheme used,
  • so...,
    • I have an opportunity to apply my custom validation on the input from the user
    • and as applicable modify the input based on my needs
      • (e.g. apply text rules, formatting etc.).

3) As a...

• I would like to be able to display rich-text-formatted feedback to the end-user triggering the rule, i.e...
    • both in terms of user-guidance-prior-the-user-input,
    • as well a feedback-on-the-input-provided,
  • so...,
    • I can notify the user triggering the rule that the input cannot be accepted
      • (would otherwise end-up in an error and/or unexpected behaviour).

4) As a...

• I would like to have the opportunity to populate my custom-fields with content using my automation rule(s), e.g. for like...
      • select-lists options,
      • as well as cascading-select-lists options
  • so...,
    • I can present dynamically fetched content upon request
      • customer-select-list-options,
      • or continents/countries, etc. etc.
    • where source of the content to display is from the single-source-of-truth (e.g. ERP systems)
    • that can be fetched in secure manner from the configured allowed-hosts.

5) As a...

• I would like to have an option to
      • trigger manual-jira-automation-rule in different context than only in the context of the current-issue,
    • so...,
      • I can validate the user-input based on the needed context
        • e.g. results from JQL-query.
      • allowing opportunity to prevent use of duplicate information being provided by users such as
        • duplicate tickets with same summary,
        • or duplicate external-case-references, etc. etc.
    • [UPDATE!] BUG Report:  JRACLOUD-69483 was cause of my rule not working as expected, so it seems as existing functionality supports already what I needed to do.

If any Jira Cloud Automation vanilla-solutions (i.e. not 3rd Party plug-ins) exist, that address some of the above needs, then I would be very interested to hear about them. If not, I hope the above will be taken into consideration for the roadmap.

Martin November 6, 2023

Is there any chance that type "date" will make it to the usable fields?

Regards
Martin

Helen Jung
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 30, 2023

Hello! It looks like the number of input fields is limited to 10. Any way I can increase this number? I am hoping to add 34 checkboxes. I see this error message below "Add Field" button: 

The maximum number of input fields (10) are already added

Arkadiusz Inglot
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2023

Hello

I would love to see there a "date picker" or "date time picker" field types!

Best!

David Maurel January 4, 2024

Hi @JammeTan ,

I am interested in knowing how you managed to retrieve the checkbox label instead of the value, because I can get the value correctly, but I would like to use the checkbox label as well. And {{userInputs.nameofcheckbox}} gets me the check state true or false, {{userInputs.nameofcheckbox.value}} doesn't get me anything, neither does {{userInputs.nameofcheckbox.name}}.

Thanks

David

Stefano January 6, 2024

DATE Type field missing in prompt screen.

When an update?

Like Christian Wolter likes this
Martin Hirsch January 19, 2024

Why is it not possible to use a smartValue (e.g. {{issue.description}} for the default value?

For example:

We are creating issues in a software project via automation from a service request. The description of the new issue will be mostly the same form the servcice isssue. But sometimes the agent want to change it.

Steven Vits January 24, 2024

Is it possible to change the option through an API or something like that. What I'm trying to archieve i sa dropdown with all project names on the tenant. If I could automate that I could update the values dynamicly. 

John Soukup February 5, 2024

@Kevin Bui I just found this feature and it's a great addition to automations.  I also support adding a "Date" field type when prompting for input?  My use case is creating a Release, which has start/end dates which should be populated.

Jan Stähle February 7, 2024

This is a great feature avoiding self-transitions along the workflows. 

Do you plan introducing the User Picker in addition to available data types for User Inputs?
This would support requests and solutions from our customers.

Jan Nyman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 19, 2024

Missing an option to prompt for F.eks. Releases or sprints and so on, so you can prompt for a field

isaaclea_idir
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 24, 2024

Would be nice if there was a way of conditionally prompting for additional inputs

1. Manual trigger, user is prompted with a dropdown

2. User selects a value from a dropdown

3. Based on the dropdown value, prompt for additional user inputs

4. Run your action with all the gathered inputs

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events