New lookup issues fields

Hi everyone!

Last year, we released a new component, Lookup Issues. This component allows users to use JQL to insert a list of issues into their rule by accessing the smart value {{lookupIssues}}. Up until now, these issues have been very limited in what fields are populated. We received a lot of feedback around including more fields on these issues, and we have now released an update which does just that. 

You can now access any field that you would normally be able to access on an issue smart value.

Why would you do that?

Those who are familiar with the lookup issues component know how useful it can be. Whenever you want to get a list of issue keys to include in a correspondence, do routine checks on a group of issues, or just get a count of issues matching a condition, lookup issues is the component to use.

However, we previously only allowed access to a basic subset of available fields. This limited the usability of the component. For example, if you wanted to access a custom field on a list of issues, this was not possible. Now, you have full access to all fields, including custom ones, so you can use them however you like in your rules.

How do you do that?

To use the lookup issues action, take a look at our documentation or have a read about it in its community article. The change in functionality means that the issues looked up by this action can be treated like any normal issue, so have a go with the smart values outlined in our documentation 

16 comments

W Bot November 30, 2021

Fantastic news, thanks to the Atlassian Automation for Jira Team for continuing to innovate an amazing product!

Like Kalos Bonasia likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2021

This is awesome!  Thanks to you and the team, @Sam Harding !!

Does this close out this suggestion I made, or are there still some unavailable fields?

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-75018

Kind regards,
Bill

Like # people like this
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2021

So I should be able to get custom date fields, is that right? @sam 

As I'm experimenting with such a field, but nothing is coming through. 

Using: {{issue.customfield_10298.fullDate}}

FYI, doesn't seem to matter which date format I try

Sam Harding
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2021

@Bill Sheboy It does! Just closed it out

Cheers
Sam

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Sam Harding
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2021

@Curt Holley it should be able to get custom date fields. Can you verify the smart values {{issue}} and {{issue.customfield_10298}} to see whether the smart value structure is correct? I am not sure that the 'issue' part of that is correct in the context of using a lookupIssues smart value.

I would expect the smart value to be something like

{{#lookupIssues}}{{customfield_10298.fullDate}}{{/}}

Cheers
Sam

Like # people like this
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2021

Correct @Sam Harding working now I've made it {{customfield_10298.fullDate}}

Thanks for that.

This is a great enhancement of the Look-up issues action.

Italo _Modus Create_ December 8, 2021

That's awesome! It's great to see Automation for JIRA receiving new features.

The next feature I would like to see implemented is the following:

Like Joshua Kochelek likes this
Joshua Kochelek December 8, 2021

This is great!! I have so many use cases... Thank you for sharing @Sam Harding!

giphy (5).gif

Like # people like this
Céline TAMBURRO May 16, 2022

Hello, is it available on Data Center ? Thanks.

Like Jamie Gaard likes this
Gisela Lassahn September 27, 2022

Hi,

when will the lookup issue functionality be available for Jira Data Center?

Many thanks (for implementing it and for any answer to my question)!

Kind regards,

Gisela

Like # people like this
Stephan Maass March 2, 2023

Is it there for datacenter yet?

Julien Rey
Atlassian Team
April 12, 2023

@Stephan Maass 

The lookup functionality does not exist for Jira Data Center yet. 

There is a feature request ticket meant to implement this feature which is tracked in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JIRAAUTOSERVER-53

Isaiah John August 14, 2023

Will I me able to use {{lookupissues}} later on in the automation to do actions on the sub-tasks of the lookup issues?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2023

Hi @Isaiah John 

My guess would be "probably yes" as that data is available for issues normally via the subtasks attribute, such as {{issue.subtasks}}

I recommend testing this by writing to the audit log, perhaps like this example:

{{lookupIssues.first.subtasks.first.assignee.displayName}}

This would log the display name of the assigned user to the first subtask, in the first issue, of the lookup issues result.

Kind regards,
Bill

Isaiah John August 15, 2023

Hi @Bill Sheboy

Thanks for the reply. How might I go about this?
Kindly provide screenshots of how this could be tested?
It's unclear how to write to the audit log.

Thanks & regards,
Isaiah

Like Sławomir Kubiak likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2023

@Isaiah John -- Automation rules have an action to write to the audit log: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-automation-actions/#Log-action

Please add that action to your rule and paste in the smart value expression I provided.  After your rule runs, you may then review the results in the audit log details to observe what happened: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/what-are-smart-values/

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events