Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing our new packaging model for Jira Cloud Automation

451 comments

Mojammel Hossain September 18, 2023

It's unfortunate that Atlassian removed the option for free project-specific automation. There will be a business impact.

Like • # people like this
Szabó Dávid September 18, 2023

@Rudy Holtkamp 
"These limits were only for multi- project and global rules - sing-project rules didn't count toward usage."

maybe I misunderstood, but nothing changes, only the number of global rule runs increases.

Like • Andrei Bacanu likes this
Jack Varley
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 18, 2023

Just to add my support for Frans message @Kevin Bui 

We also have invested heavily in single project automation at the encouragement of Atlassian over the past few years and now rely on these automation's for several business critical processes. During times these difficult times of inflation it will not be possible to upgrade to a higher tier and so we now have to look at alternatives for these automation's. 

I have been promoting Jira to my organisation and have managed to reach the point where are about to look at adopting other Atlassian products into our business. A sudden move like this will shatter my companies confidence in the platform and it will be difficult to promote going forward 

We are now having to look at integrations and assess those too as again. For example there is no path where we can consider integrations with github and bitbucket (which have been heavily promoted) but rely on automations for push/pull requests.

Please re-consider this decision as the implications become clearer.

Florian Schmidt September 18, 2023

Automation has such a big impact to our daily business. These are very sad news. Our single project execution rules are essential and with the coming limit it is a tremendous hit in the face. Big dislike and thumbs down.

@Jack Varley  @Florian Schmidt "These limits were only for multi- project and global rules - sing-project rules didn't count toward usage."

Florian Schmidt September 18, 2023

@Szabó DávidThat's how it is for now. But they are changing this. "In today’s model, an automation rule that is configured to run in a single Jira project does not count toward the usage limit. In the new model, all automation rule types (i.e. single project, project type, multi-project, and global rules) will count towards the usage limit."

sorry, I misunderstood, but it really sucks

-comment edited-

Please stay nice.

I feel betrayed by Atlassian

Ollie Peacey September 18, 2023

Hi, in the 'Usage' tab, could the 'Executions' column be updated to only represent the number of automation executions that were successful and in turn counted towards the limit. 

Like • Koloman Pfeffer likes this
Gerardo Dalena September 18, 2023

This is a very bad move from Atlassian, considering that most of our rules are for single projects. The reason we choose Jira (over better competitors!) a few years ago was the ability to use automations without worrying too much. Needless to say, the trust from our company toward the Jira ecosystemmay be shattered. Now we may need to search around and rewrite a lot of stuff for whatever platform we'll start to use next. Sorry, but this is not something like a Netflix subscriptions, where you can delete the account and be happy. This is a real life impact that could lead us to a lot of crunch.

Atlassian, please reconsider, at least for existing customers.

Josh Wexler September 18, 2023

This is really a train wreck of a decision. We share our instance among three divisions and all have been heavily invested in automation. In fact we have changed several of our processes to improve efficiency precisely because we had unlimited single project automations. This is going to blow up years of work we have all done in our respective groups. 

We're talking hours upon hours of discussions, plannings and execution to put this automations in place.  

Looking at our usage report, I looked at the last month of our usage and managed to calculate on my own(since you decided to hold off an extra two weeks to provide a tool that will demonstrate how horrible this will be) how many successful executions we had, and we used 8900 executions.  Do you really think we'll be able to clean these up enough to get under 1700?  And even if we sneak under that threshold, that basically means we can no longer create any more. Hell, as someone else even mentioned, we can't event test out anymore cause successful tests will start going towards that count too.

I really hope you back off of this plan and go back to how things used to be.  

Paul Krueger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2023

I have soooooo many single-project rules we run because it has always been unlimited. This change is TERRIBLE. Please reconsider this nonsense. 

Vince Clark September 18, 2023

@Fran I agree with you we have invested time and effort in project level automation. Most of which make up for expected functionality that just is not there in the cloud version. Now we are just being pumped for more cash, Project level automation should be part of the standard package end off. 

David Foote September 18, 2023

I will echo the other comments here - we have leaned heavily on single project automations to fill in gaps in functionality that are not provided in workflows and transitions. Automations are powerful but also easy to understand, which is great when you have a team of various skill levels.

With this change, we will likely have to shift to doing more with scripting add-ons, which are powerful but much less easy to understand, troubleshoot and monitor.

This sudden change wouldn't sting as much if screens and transitions were modernized to allow for more dynamic input and logic. Automations and the smart values within are also the only way to integrate Assets and Asset data into a workflow. Building out anything complicated in Jira will often need to rely on Automations and to hamstring it this way really limits what we can and want to implement for our company.

Dropping such a fundamental change/limitation on us with less than 2 months notice is just rubbing salt into the wound.

Edited to add that the recent outages in Automations (not all Atlassian's fault, I know) caused absolute havoc in our instance, as we found out how crucial Automations have become to our flows working properly. It highlighted how integral Automations have become and how much work it will take to unwind/limit/restrict their usage.

Bill Goetz September 18, 2023

What a bad decision by Atlassian to do this to it's customers! It's bad enough that they're now going to cap project automations that were once free, but they're doing little to help admins actually manage usage. How about some permissions to restrict access to automations outright or per-user settings that admin could set? Admins now also have 30 days to audit and rework their automations? Admins don't have enough time and doing these things just makes things that much more difficult. 

This is nothing more than an attempt by Atlassian to drive more customers to the Premium & Enterprise tiers.

Lara Jones September 18, 2023

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of giving 1,000 per user.  Does this just mean that the automation bot gets a total of number of users we're paying for x1000 for executions per month? 

Jack Varley
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 18, 2023

I'm also a bit confused by the wording- in the future if I have a 100 Jira Cloud Standard licences does that mean I can have up to 170,000 executions within one month (100 * 1,700)?

Is that principal the same for all products as it is not clear.

N Gobiananth September 18, 2023

@Kevin Bui  Below statements are bit confusing  ?   

Capture.PNG

Pier-Luc Boucher
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 18, 2023

Sad move...

Using analytics, Atlassian was able to see that companies were using single-project automation to by-pass the multi-project limitation and they took action to force people to scale to premium

This is a sad decision to try to upsell people into a product they don't need

Should provide a way to have more run instead, the invoice should be less expensive

Nikki DuBois September 18, 2023

Why would Standard Jira have 1700 and Premium is only 1000? That does not make sense.

Like • Jason M. likes this

Unfortunately, going forward people are going to be less inclined to experiment with automation because while failed rules won't count against us, successful ones will.  

Before we could setup test projects and experiment with different rules, triggers and steps within the rule to work on efficiency.  Now trying to do any of this works against our usage.

You didn't even provide a sandbox Atlassian. 

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2023

I think failed rules do count. Otherwise people will be adding a compare statement like 1=0 at the end of each rule.

Like • Inna S likes this

I should have written that better.  Only successful rules count.  

Only rules that perform a successful action will count towards the limit

Mauricio Heberle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2023

@Pier-Luc Boucher not to mention that these restrictions are absurd the way they are right now. Every day, Atlassian seems to be pushing it's customers further and further away. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events