Introducing Automation to Jira (and myself!)

Hi all,

My name is Nick, as the big title above suggests and I am one of the co-founders of Automation for Jira. I wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself and hopefully answer any questions you might have.

Myself and the team have spent the last 5 months working hard to bring automation natively to Jira Cloud and now that it’s live, I hope lots of you are already benefitting from automating away the repetitive tasks to make Jira work for you.

nickAndreas.jpeg

When we started building Automation for Jira, the goal was always to make it so anyone could automate Jira in just a few clicks. It shouldn’t be rocket science (though Nasa is a customer!). Over the years, we have continued to build with this in mind and luckily customers have responded. Equally the Atlassian community has always supported each other in building ingenious new automation rules. We have always been super-grateful and I just wanted to take this opportunity to say thank-you for maintaining this amazing community.

If you haven’t yet enabled your first automation rule, you are missing out! It is easy to do, it will save you a ton of time and stress and it’s actually kind of fun…at least I think so! My co-founder Andreas is running a webinar in a couple of weeks along with our marketing guy John. It isn’t going to be death by Powerpoint. We will show you how best to build your first automation rules and give you templates to take away. We’d love for you to join us.

Join our webinar

In the meantime, any admin should see automation on the left side of your Jira administration menu so you can get started automating today! Looking forward to meeting many of you.

Nick

13 comments

Arkadiusz Głowacki March 25, 2020

Hi Nick and Andreas! Nice to see you back guys!

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2020

Hi Nick, will 'Automation' and 'Project automation' in cloud project settings be merged at some point in the near future?

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2020

Glad to meet you @nmenere!

I'll be honest we haven't experimented much with this, but looking forward to the webinar to learn more about it!

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2020

Hi Nick & Andreas, nice to hear from you guys!

Few questions:

1. Is this native "Automation for JIRA" available as a System add-on in JIRA Cloud? Does it include all features of "Automation for JIRA Pro" or only "Automation for JIRA Lite"?

2. Will "Automation for JIRA" be also available as a System add-on for JIRA Server or DC platforms in near future?

nmenere
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2020

Hey @Dave Mathijs ,

The Jira Service Desk automation engine (the one that says "Automation") will be retired over time so there will be one all-powerful automation engine that works seamlessly across projects and products. In the meantime, you can continue to use both. Right now there are a few features missing from the new Automation engine but it should solve the vast majority of your needs.

Cheers,
Nick

nmenere
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2020

Hi @Taranjeet Singh ,

The native version of Automation in Jira Cloud is the old full/Pro version. All customers have access to unlimited project rule executions and depending on your Edition (Free, Standard or Premium) will have limited access to global/multi-project rules.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 10.19.01 am.png 

In regards to our Server and DC offerings, we are still working out long term plans for automation but in the mean time both our Lite and Paid versions are available for Server and DC.

Cheers,

Nick

Deleted user March 28, 2020

@nmenere 

I use your products to the satisfaction of my customers, congratulations guys. we hope that the entry into Atlassian can only improve the product.

Kantur April 2, 2020

@nmenere had an issue, figured it out!

Abdul_Waheed_Khan April 11, 2020

Very nice

Abdul_Waheed_Khan April 11, 2020

Having good skills

Becci_Tester April 14, 2020

What is your time frame for releasing the Automation API for Atlassian Developers Community?

raheel_ahmad April 14, 2020

Very nice

vlad_puhach April 23, 2020

Good idea guys!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events