Automation: Hidden headers

Hi everyone! I’m back again with a quick update on a new feature available to anyone currently using the Send web request action. We received some feedback from the community that people would like the ability to obfuscate headers that are sent with your web request when you’re attaching secrets, API keys or any other sensitive value to your request. We’ve gone ahead and given you the ability to do this, so let me show you how it works:

Add the “Hidden” flag to your headers

Your headers in both new and existing rules using the Send web request action now have an additional option. Below, you can see that a “Hidden” checkbox is available to you:

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.23.37 am.png

When you select this option on a header, you’ll notice that the value is now obfuscated:

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.24.28 am.png

If you go ahead and publish your rule, navigating back to the Send web request action will show you that the value you selected is permanently hidden, and cannot be shown again.

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.26.46 am.png

Once the value is hidden, it can’t be unhidden. However, you can always edit both the name and value of the header, or remove the header completely.

Once a rule is published with Hidden headers, the value will never be available for viewing in the automation platform. The value is masked as it’s sent back to you, so you won’t be able to inspect any payload to view the value either. You can find more information on how this works here.

Until next time!

Thanks again for checking in. The Automation team is always hard at work listening to your much appreciated feedback, so please feel free to comment below telling us what you’d like to see next from us.

Thanks a bunch!

7 comments

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2022

These are great news! Thank you very much! :)

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2022

Fantastic! Thank you!

Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2022

That's great! Thanks 🙌

Julia Foden September 19, 2022

Thank you! I had mentioned this in my call with the new Product Manager, great to see that it has been worked on so quickly !

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2022

Hey @Liam Tan - this is a real nice feature! Makes me and security happy! Thanks for this post ... I wil be using this going forward ...

Quick question, is it possible to have something like this available for the Create Variable action as well? Is there a ticket I can watch and upvote?

Thanks for this again.

Patrick Lowry December 2, 2022

Is this only available in Jira Cloud? I'm on Jira Server and don't see this option 

Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2022

Hi @Patrick Lowry,

I'm afraid that at the moment this is a Cloud only feature. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events