4 Automation rules to accompany the 'Getting started with automation in Jira' webinar!

Hi all, 

On April 15th, myself and Andreas, the co-Founder of Automation for Jira, will be running a webinar to help everyone get off to a flying start with the new native automation engine in Jira. If you haven't already registered - do so here: https://www.atlassian.com/webinars/software/getting-started-automation-jira

The four automation rules below are the sample rules we will be running through in that webinar. I am putting them up here so you can ask any questions before or after the webinar. Looking forward to seeing many of you there! 

Automation rule 1: Auto-create sub-tasks & edit fields

65a9b6a1-b6bb-4145-920b-98a07f24c02b.png

Automation rule 2: If issue type is bug, assign to John. OR if the issue type is a dev-task, assign to Andreas. If is neither issue type, assign to someone else on the team.

Automation rules - Code Barrel JIRA 2020-04-10 14-37-02.png

Automation Rule 3: When an epic transitions to done, then transition all stories to 'done' too.

73e3126e-c22c-496b-87b4-1f5f89179501.png

Automation Rule 4: Escalate overdue issues and inform team via Slack

d0077627-2b76-43b1-92f6-960e03122527.png

If these rules don't make immediate sense to you, that's exactly what our introductory webinar is for! Join us on April 15th :) 

40 comments

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2020

If you are new to Automation For Jira or interested in the the abilities of the tool, I HIGHLY recommend this webinar. It will be well worth your time!!

Like Carmel likes this
Mridu Bhattacharya April 10, 2020

Hi John I have registered and looking forward to attending the webinar. I'm new to Atlassian. Do you recommend any reading before this webinar?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2020

Hi Mridu - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I know you are talking to the "other" John  :-)   but you might want to look through some of the documentation in advance here:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automate-your-jira-cloud-processes-and-workflows/

Like Deleted user likes this
Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2020

@Mridu Bhattacharya No pre-reading is required but we do have this handy guide that could be helpful for you if you're interested in exploring our automation features prior to the webinar.

Like # people like this
Mridu Bhattacharya April 11, 2020

Thanks a lot @Josh Frank and @John Funk 

The materials you shared is a lot of help.

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2020

Hi @Mridu Bhattacharya

Thanks for registering! Looking forward to the webinar this week.

Apologies for the delayed response. I was on an unexpectedly early paternity leave :) 

Thanks @johnfunk for jumping in and sharing those resources! 

You could also take a peek into the rule playground for inspiration: thttps://docs.automationforjira.com/rule-playground/

Chat soon!

John

Like Emilija Milevska likes this
Emilija Milevska April 15, 2020

Very good examples - thank you :)

Like John McKiernan likes this
Julie Robert April 15, 2020

Hi all,

I attended the webinar this morning that was really interesting. Now I am wondering if it is possible to transition all issues from one kanban column to another with the automation tool? My issue is that the DevTeam needs to transition all issues manually from commit to published and it is a real burden when having more than 5 tasks to transition.

If anyone can help on this one?

Thanks!

Julie

Deleted user April 15, 2020

I don't really understand how your execution count works. I have a Jira project where about 2000 issues are created per month. For each issue I do one trigger, does this mean that in the month I run out of rule executions and I can't run them for the remaining issues anymore ?

Deleted user April 15, 2020

If we have Jira Software cloud (500 user) and Jira Service cloud (5 agents), how does that affect the usage limits for Global runs of Automation between Software and Service Desk?

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
April 15, 2020

Hi @Julie Robert ,

Glad you enjoyed the webinar. We had good fun too!

If I understand your question correctly, you are looking to transition all issues from one status to another using automation? Ideally this would come from when a commit is created? If that is correct, it should be an easy rule for you. 

Option 1: Scheduled rule (refine with JQL in the scheduled trigger) and then transition the issue to whatever status you like. 

Automation rules - Jira 2020-04-16 10-19-53.png

Option 2 - Take it one step further with the new DevOps triggers (assuming your devs use Bitbucket or soon Github, Gitlab) 

Automation rules - Jira 2020-04-16 10-56-08.png

Hope that helps but let me know if you have other questions!

Cheers,

John 

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
April 15, 2020

Hi @[deleted] ,

Thanks for your message. To be honest, we could do a better job explaining how the execution count works. Every Jira Cloud instance has unlimited single=project rule executions. The limits only come in to play for multi/global rules.

• With Jira Software cloud (500 user) and Jira Service cloud (5 agents) on a standard plan - you would have 1000 multi-project/global rule executions per month. (500 per product)
  • With Jira Software cloud (500 user) and Jira Service cloud (5 agents) on a premium plan - you would have 505,000 multi-project/global rule executions per month. (1000 per user in Jira Software and 1000 per user in Jira Service Desk)

I have a Jira project where about 2000 issues are created per month. For each issue I do one trigger, does this mean that in the month I run out of rule executions and I can't run them for the remaining issues anymore ?

If all of your rule executions are in this same project, then they count as a single-project rule execution. These are unlimited so no problems here! It is only if you were running the rule across more than one project that you would need to consider the limits. 

I hope that helps but let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

John

Like # people like this
Assia Touati April 16, 2020

i want to use the automation rules in order to get all the worklogs of the subtasks of an issue in the worklog of the parent issue. 

I've create an automation rule which works great when the worklog are created. However, when i update the values of the worklogs of the subtasks, it's not updated for the parent... how can i do this ??? 

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
April 16, 2020

Hi Assia,

Thanks for your message. Hopefully I didn't pronounce your name too wrong in the webinar yesterday! 

Would you mind sending a screenshot of your rule and audit log so I can see a bit clearer what is going on? If you'd prefer not to send publicly, pop it through to support and we can answer there.

Cheers,

John

Like Assia Touati likes this
Assia Touati April 17, 2020

Hi @John McKiernan , yeah you've pronounced my name right ! sorry for all the questions i've asked and thank you for taking the time to answer to them. 

Here is the sceenshots of my tasks and how i've added the time to the subtasks, it worked for the creation action. However i tried to update the automation rule by replacing the smart value : "worklog.timeSpent" by "issue.worklog" and also i tried to add JSON code to update it in the parent, but i think that it's not in the bean ??? 

Also, note that my version of JIRA is in french, sorry for that. 

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 09.49.31 (2).pngScreenshot 2020-04-17 at 09.51.19 (2).pngScreenshot 2020-04-17 at 10.00.02 (1).png

Mark Thompson April 17, 2020

Is there a list of the questions asked with answers?

ben_adair April 17, 2020

Cloning from one project to another works great but I am not seeing attachments move along from the source issue.

I have included the following in the cloned issue description (found in the community):

{{#issue.fields.attachment}} [{{filename}}|{{content}}] {{/}}

Is this the current workaround or is the feature coming to actually include the attachment file or a copy of the file?

Thanks for the webinar!

Hine April 19, 2020

Hi, I attended the webinar, asked this question. Can you use jira automation to close/open sprints? I didn't see any answer. Is there output of all the questions/answers?  Can you provide an answer?

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
April 19, 2020

Hi @Mark Thompson

Thanks for your message. We actually received close to 800 questions in the first automation webinar which is a lot more than I expected! Getting that many questions is fantastic, however, it meant we didn't get to answer everything in person so apologies. 

We are currently going through all of these questions. I will collate the top 50 or so most common questions and answers and post them here as soon as I can :) 

Cheers,

John

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
April 19, 2020

Hi @ben ,

Thanks for attending the webinar, I hope you enjoyed it! 

Unfortunately at the moment, we can't copy attachments across in Cloud. It is a very popular request as you can see from this post so hopefully we can make this possible soon. 

Thanks,

John

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
April 19, 2020

Hi @Hine ,

At the moment, you can't use automation in Jira to open or close sprints. I've added your vote to the ticket at https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-704

However, you could start an automation rule with one of our sprint triggers: 

Automation rules - Jira 2020-04-20 10-25-16.png

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
April 19, 2020

Hi @Assia Touati ,

Thanks for sending through those screenshots. I understand now. 

The bad news is that we don't currently support this. The good news is that we will be shipping this functionality very soon: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-476

I have added your vote to it and also left a note to update this community post once shipped. Hope that helps!

John

Like Assia Touati likes this
Assia Touati April 20, 2020

@John McKiernan  thanks for taking the time to answer. 

I hope it'll be fixed :) 

Have a good one

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
April 28, 2020

Hi all, 

As promised, we have put together a list of questions and answers from the webinar. You can find it here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-articles/79-Questions-and-Answers-about-Jira-Automation/ba-p/1363930

Be warned, there are a lot but it should be super valuable. There are over 40 use case questions and answers and lots more. I hope you find it useful and please continue to give any feedback, ideas, opinions.

Cheers,

John

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2020

@John McKiernan  - You and the team are FANTASTIC!!! This is definitely going to be invaluable!!! Thanks so much!!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events