Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the typical time required to migrate 10 projects from server to cloud

MAW SFDC September 21, 2020

I am looking for an estimation required to migrate 10 projects from server to cloud.

I know no two migrations are not same but still looking for an average time it takes for migration

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Miles B.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2020

Hi @MAW SFDC 

As @Prince Nyeche mentioned, it will depend on the number of issues, however the recommended method is to use the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant. This a free app that you install on your Server instance, and will allow you to select only the 10 projects you need.

Additionally, the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant will help you migrate users and groups, assess your apps (if you have any), and run pre-flight checks to ensure there are no data issues prior to the migration. It will also provide estimated migration time (see below):

fa06841e-9aa5-433a-98c7-9979e177d622.jpeg

If you don't already have a cloud site, you can activate a free cloud migration trial to get started. We also recommended visiting the Cloud Migration Center and reviewing the documentation ahead of time.

Hope this helps! 

0 votes
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2020

Hi @MAW SFDC 

It depends on how many issues these 10 Projects has and what method you're using. either a full XML import from Server to Cloud(if its a new Cloud Instance) or you're just using CSV import to import 1 project at a time. So if i were to estimate the latter, I would say that would take longer given if each project has minimum 10K issues plus or minus errors encountered, I would estimate approx. 12 hours. The XML restore from Server to Cloud could most probably do that in half the time. 

Sahar Yacout November 4, 2020

@Prince N I wonder if a full xml import is something that by any means can affect the resources on the server or I can actually do it as a test, then delete all what I have on the site and do it again as a dry run.

Thanks

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2020

Hi @Sahar Yacout 

full xml import shouldn't, because xml export from server is a backup of your entire server instance. So importing that into Cloud shouldn't affect your server in anyway at least for Jira 7.13.x above that I know of. likewise, you can do a test if you want it as well, just decide on which approach to take.

Sahar Yacout November 13, 2020

thanks

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events