Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would the migration assistant claim that attachments are missing from selected spaces?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2021

In preparation for a Confluence migration I have been running the migration assistant up to the point at which a migration would take place but not actually doing it.  This was to ensure certain issues with users and email addresses were resolved.  Those were the only errors I saw.  Once those were resolved last week I saw no errors.

This week I upgraded the migration assistant and tried again.  Over 6000 attachments were missing?  I quickly checked - everything is there.  I downloaded a report, visited a bunch of pages - the attachments were reachable within Confluence and no errors about attachments were in the logs and nothing was displayed on screen. 

Do any of you know what could have happened? 

Before suggesting a ticket with Atlassian, I do have one in place, and we're waiting for an answer. 

I really don't want to have to go the XML route, because with Jira in place and preventing a site import, I would have to export and then import every space individually, manually.

image2021-6-15_12-2-39.png

2 answers

2 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Amna Elabbas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 23, 2021

Hi @Rob Horan

Atlassian bought forward the release date of CCMA 3.2.2 and the bug is fixed. MIG-655

Can you please share the MOVE number, then I can relay the feedback to the team.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2021

Thank you!

MOVE-19992

0 votes
Answer accepted
Amna Elabbas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2021

Hi @Rob Horan

The reported issue occurs due to the recent release of the Confluence cloud migration assistant trying to find the attachment versions as well.
The issue has been reported as a bug with id MIG-655.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2021

Hi Amna,

That bug says Workaround - Validate the attachments

That's not an option.  I have absolutely no way to move forward.  Nothing is missing.  We were advised to try to fix each of the missing attachments by following the steps on this document https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-resolve-missing-attachments-in-confluence-201761.html

This did not work either.

Capture 2021-06-17 at 10.49.38.png

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2021

3.2.0 did not have this issue - is there a way to use that?

Amna Elabbas
Atlassian Team
June 17, 2021

Hi @Rob Horan ,

I don't think you can go back to the older version. There is a dark feature that can be enabled to turn the check off.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2021

Yeah, enabling dark features on a migration... a migration for a customer.  Not what I want to do.  Thank you, but I need to be very careful in my approach.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2021

@Amna Elabbascouldn't Atlassian release a 3.2.2 that essentially is a rollback to 3.2.0?  This is a critical bug and there's been no word of a solution or even an ETA.  How are users going to be able to move forward with their migrations without a fix? Are there really any instances out there with zero attachments?

Again, the "Workaround" is to validate the attachments, but there is no way to do that.  The only workaround is to ignore the message and take a risk that some percentage of attachments really are missing.

Amna Elabbas
Atlassian Team
June 22, 2021

Hi @Rob Horan ,

The ETA for the next release is July 13th. If there's an earlier fix it will be communicated on  MIG-655 because we hear your feedback and want to ensure that with the next release our end users and partners have an accurate number of missing attachments and that your migration is a seamless one. 

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2021

@Amna ElabbasI really do appreciate the update but that is nearly a month from the first report - potentially an additional month's delay on entire migrations, with no real workaround in place. I'm not trying to give you a hard time at all, but I ask that you look at it from the perspective of someone being stuck at this point.

The workaround in the bug ticket says "validate the attachments" which lacks steps to follow, and is not correct.  There is no validate attachments option on the assistant, and there is no way to do so via the UI. 

Users can download a CSV report of "missing" attachments, but in my case there were over 6,000 reported missing attachments, and this particular instance is small.  Are customers supposed to check each manually, while the system is in use and more attachments are being added as time passes?

The ONLY way to move past this, is to ignore the warning and continue.   But then are there any potential ramifications of doing so?  How can people check if their attachments have made it over?

Amna Elabbas
Atlassian Team
June 22, 2021

Hi @Rob Horan ,

When you ignore warning and proceed , if your instance doesn't have any issues with attachment they will proceed to migrate successfully.  If there are any actual issue with attachments, then the migration would fail with error related to attachment.

It would be the same as you are working with the previous version of CCMA- 3.2.0

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2021

Hi @Amna Elabbas ,

Thank you - THIS is what I and others need to see :)

Please ask that the ticket be updated with this info.

Also, please inform the migrations team.  I have a MOVE ticket which has been habitually ignored through this process, and it seems like that team isn't aware of the bug at all.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events