Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the safest and most efficient way to migrate filters, boards, dashboards to the cloud?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 18, 2022

The JCMA does not migrate

• Dashboards
  • Cross-project boards

• Boards not connected to the projects being migrated

• Boards that belong to inactive users

• filters on boards that are not migrated

What's the best way to migrate these, given that site import has been deprecated and it's not possible?

Outside of using the JCMA dark features (which currently have a bug that requires a downgrade to 1.6.5) what is the best way to get this done in a way that preserves ownership, shares, subscriptions, etc?  How do you ensure nothing is missed?

I've been following other posts here and in other forums, and I'm not seeing a lot of answers. 

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Erik Mathijs May 19, 2022

Hi,

This topic indeed deserves more documentation on how to approach this.

I had following solution for 

• Boards that belong to inactive users

Boards, filters and dashboards from inactive users can be listed with a database sql query.

• Private Boards, filters and dashboards can be deleted because they are not used any more
  • For the shared objects i contacted the teamleader of each project and asked to look if these Boards, filters and dashboards are used by their team and moved these to active users. After getting the answers i deleted the unused shared objects.

This is a very time consuming proces but it leads to a clean Jira instance.

Cheers,

Erik

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2022

Thanks @Erik Mathijs ,

Certainly, migration is the perfect opportunity for cleanup, but in the end there's still going to be a lot to move. 

It's been my experience that more often than not, shared objects created by inactive users are still very much in use. 

The solution you have addresses clutter, but once the decluttering is done, how are they moved?

Like Krista Stellar likes this
Erik Mathijs May 19, 2022

The cleanup is essential for me, so i did this (hel of a job ;) ).

I am aware that filters and cross-project boards will not be converted.

My plan is that during user acceptance testing, each user creates his (or her) filters and dashboards.

cross-project boards must also be created by the teams

All users are getting a list of their shared objects, wich must be (unfortunately) created again.

At the end of user acceptance testing, each user and each team must be aware of the actions they have to do for starting in cloud.

Despite this approach, I regret that certain shared objects are not migrated.

I understand this for Dashboards, because they can have many gadgets, but migrating filters should be less effort to built in the JMMA (from my point of view).

Another action i put on the admin list is to keep our jira instance clean (also after migration to cloud). 

So before deactivating a jira user

- all shared objects must be transferred to a active user.

- private objects will be deleted

For this task we use the Adaptavist Scriptrunner 

I hope you can do something with my experience.

Questions or comments are of course welcome because I may be able to adjust my approach here

Cheers,

Erik

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2022

Thanks Erik - I really appreciate the information, and its very helpful,  but it also assumes that the users are going to take action.

Let's assume that's not the case, and a single internal admin or 3rd party, such as a solution partner, is taking on that work.  How is it all done then?   That's the heart of my question.

As far as I can tell, that person will need to manually inventory each object, document all of its properties (owner, JQL, shares, configurations, etc), and then manually recreate them all, one by one, in the cloud site.

Like Krista Stellar likes this
Erik Mathijs May 20, 2022
  • Gathering the information from the database is less effort.
  • Cleaning up is a hell of a job but usefull
  • Recreate the objects (boards, dashboards, filters) is very painfull, but you can't carry those responsibility. The only thing you can do is ask your users to create them in cloud. Dividing the work among your users is the only viable solution to get up and running in cloud.

I wish you al the best with your migration to cloud. I know the feeling because i'm also working on it for our company.

Like Rob Horan likes this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2022

So ultimately there is no way for one person in charge of a migration to do so?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2022

I'm asking both because I want to know, and because this is a HUGE risk for organizations, and a huge gap in the documentation.  I can't find anything other than the "what's not migrated with the JCMA" blurb that even hints at this.

There should be full articles dedicated to this topic.

Like # people like this
Jean Dupree May 24, 2022

So nobody has an answer? I had one hope, a guy who wrote "Unfortunately, they have to be rebuilt manually. Good news is that is a small effort for skilled Jira hands."

When I asked HOW I got no response.  I should have known it was BS. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events