What questions do you have about Cloud migrations?

Elizabeth Howden
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2021

Hi Community,

At Atlassian, we're always working to make Cloud migrations easier. In addition to resources like the Cloud Migration Center and the Cloud Migration Demo, we're active in this collection looking for questions to be answered or places we can help out.

Plus, what's even better is that Community is filled with tons of Migration MVPs: customers who have been there before and know what it takes to make a migration successful. 

So, let's get a discussion going. What migration questions do you have? Feel free to post a question of your own or jump in to help out!

Cheers,

Elizabeth

3 comments

Comment

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2021

Hi @Elizabeth Howden 

One question, support to Atlassian Server Products ends on Feb, 24th , 2024 according https://www.atlassian.com/migration/journey-to-cloud. What would happen to those instances if someone does not opt with in the end of support? How would you guide those cases and provide best solution on those cases?

Like Huwen Arnone likes this
Jacob Wisner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2021

Hi @Suvradip Paul

You will still be able to access your Server instance should you choose not to move to Atlassian Cloud or Data Center. The Server end of life date just means that support and bug fixes will no longer be available for your Server products, so eventually should you chose not to migrate your Server instance, you might run into issues down the road. 

As a Server customer you are also eligible to try our extended free Cloud migration trial if you'd like to evaluate Cloud at your own pace—no credit card required.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2021

Thanks for making this clear.

Like Huwen Arnone likes this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2021

Hi,

maybe it was answered somewhere, but I wasn't able to find any info about the future of Automation for Jira (server / DC application).

Please, are there any plans to make it part of the server / DC the same way as Portfolio, Team Calendards etc?

Thank you.

Jacob Wisner
Atlassian Team
September 8, 2021

Hi @Hana Kučerová

If you review the Jira Data Center roadmap, you can see all the recently shipped and upcoming features. Automation for Jira will be available in Data Center by Q2-Q3 2022. It will not be available in Server, since we announced in February 2021 we ceased any future product development for the Server line.

That being said, while we still continue to support Data Center feature development, the majority of Atlassian investment will be in Cloud innovation. Eligible Server and Data Center customers are invited to try our extended free Cloud migration trial if you'd like to evaluate Cloud at your own pace—no credit card required.

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
Bernhard Breit September 21, 2021

Hi there!

Just one quick question: How can I ever have hope that any cloud stuff will come anywhere near to the performance I am used to from my very own confluence server running on a moderately powerful hardware connected by LAN to my workstation?

Sorry to rain on your parade, but am I the only one with that problem?

Regards,

Bernhard

David Andrew September 21, 2021

I think in general the network lag wont be as noticeable as you think.

*Your experience may vary

And the trade off comes with zero maintenance tasks and inbuilt redundancy

Bernhard Breit September 22, 2021

Hi @David Andrew , last time I tried the free cloud confluence the network lags were very noticeable. And talking about tradeoffs - zero maintenance but also zero availability if your internet link is down, which the "inbuilt redundancy" wont mitigate. And of course your content, your data is on somebody else´s system, a thought I still cannot get comfortable with, all declarations of innocence and encryption methods notwithstanding.

David Andrew September 22, 2021

There is not enough info about what is causing your network lags.  I'm in Tasmania, the end of the world nearly, and we are embracing Cloud solutions even though most are on mainland Australia.  The lag and extra networking considerations are certainly a factor.  But there will never be 100% uptime.  Even a cupboard with the server and a UPS cannot guard against networking outages, or data ransoms, or other trojan infections.

Your DR solution is also vital, I am currently looking at creating a static offline copy of our space so we can recover if our knowledge base is offline.

Due diligence regarding how your data is stored and accessed is important, and this is where some heavy reading will take place to ensure the security meets your own requirements.  There is a whole chain of trusts and certifications that you can follow through, but what ever you do eventually you have to trust someone.  I can't do this work for you, if you want to understand it you need to find your own sources and verify them, but the truth is out there.  For some of the government work I do, I also need regional guarantees, the data must be kept within regional boundaries.

If you are worried read the Atlassian doc's and the certifications.

Compliance at Atlassian | Atlassian

Then read what those certificates mean, and verify that the certificate providers acknowledge the certificates.  I will personally also take into account who else trusts them, the certificates and the products.  This will only be more relevant if you intend to remain working in Info Tech.

As an example I can only trust the reputable sources to tell me there is an issue with an SSL cert provider, and the appropriate actions to take.  I don't have the time or resources to test everything myself.

I hope that helps

Like Bernhard Breit likes this
Bernhard Breit September 23, 2021

Hi there and thanks for the detailed reply!

I did not do an in-depth analysis why the free cloud instance of confluence was so sluggish and slow compared to my own on-premises one, I just accredited it to cumulative packet roundtrip delays compared with accessing my own server within my gigabit-Ethernet LAN.

And how did you know that my server is in a rack with an UPS? ... together with my LAN switch and my NAS, where I backup all my data to. That NAS with its RAID5 is the 1st backup to guard against hardware component failure - then I write the really important data to an external USB drive (encrypted of course) which I regularly once a week drive to a friends place some 70 kilometers away. In exchange I take his USB drive and store it in my house, that is our DR solution. For completeness sake: Whenever I do some major work on my "pet datacenter in the basement" I also export system image backups and stuff to another external USB drive and I am heavily into setting up all my stuff so that it can be deployed as "IaaC" on bare metal hardware with just one small Linux system as nucleus, but that is getting too far here.

Yeah, sure there won´t be 100% uptime, but I do not want to be dependent on my internet provider to access my very own data. In the same sense, I do not really have reason to mistrust all the certificate chain and all the institutions that confirm legitimacy of trust. But I do not WANT my data to be anywhere else than in my basement. It is MY data and I alone have the right to decide where it resides.

So why am I ranting on here: Whatever documentation I keep on that "pet datacenter" is painstakingly detailed and structured and I did it all in Confluence. I happily paid those 10$ (twice, as I have two server instances for redundancy) a year to Atlassian and also recommended Confluence to friends and also to companies and customers in my professional role as an Information Security Expert.

Now Confluence server will be discontinued and customers are forced to either move to "the cloud" or purchase a datacenter license. This frustrates me, as for me personally neither of those two choices is viable. I do not want to move to the cloud for reasons already posted and I do not want to afford what a datacenter license would cost me.

So, I need to find another tool or solution to fit my documentation needs and I need to move all my content over from Confluence onto that new solution. Sure, the end is some time off still, but for every entry I add to my documentation in Confluence these days, I am aware that I will need to do extra work sometime in the future once I will have decided what to replace the really perfect tool Confluence with.

I am rather disgruntled, as I do not really see any necessity for Atlassian to totally stop supporting the normal server version of Confluence other than maybe saving a little money.

I will have to accept defeat sooner or later, but as long as they let me keep this community account I will rant on against this policy of forcing customers off a good product onto "the cloud", as it were, because up until now the entry level of cost for a datacenter license is just too high for a hobby user like me.

Well, that´s become a lot longer than I intended. Anyways, hope you can appreciate my line of reasoning and accept that you well-intended post did not remedy my trouble.

Cheers,

Bernhard

Like David Andrew likes this
David Andrew September 23, 2021

I agree dropping Server licence is painful, and in our situation, while we are not cloud adverse - there is all the custom plugins to confluence and interlinks, that will need redoing, that make it a massive project for us.  That we just don't have spare time/resources for.

I understand that Atlassian is a money making venture, and its a legitimate cost saving solution, that will provide a higher quality product, but ...

Like Bernhard Breit likes this
Bernhard Breit September 24, 2021

Hmm, yes, very painful. And I don´t see that this will provide a higher quality product in any way, sorry. Cost saving I can accept, however marginal. Because: What would the cost be to Atlassian to just continue running the licensing portal so that people could continue to renew whenever they need to reinstall a server? Or just make a last version of confluence server starter edition (10 user limit) installable without checking for license validity?

Like David Andrew likes this
David Andrew September 26, 2021

### Speculation to the EXTREEM ###

My 2c's worth and thoughts on how modern IT delivery is changing seem appropriate here.

I don't think the licences would be the issues.  I don't even think Atlassian wants to run the cloud particularly.

The real cost saving for them is testing each patch against every possible scenario, the customisations, integrations and even the look and feel.

It would be a fulltime team to ensure that the new enhancements wont break something they promised or implied in a press release 15 years ago, in every possible use case for that minor feature, access, plugin or api ...

The real cost, and reputation, saving is when you control it from end to end you can ensure the configurations.  This will be the course for more applications, standard grey configs.

If you want to use in your own environment, and you want a supported product, you will have to pay an amount that will cover the POSSIBLE support costs.

### end speculation and rants ###

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events