Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to inactive users after they are migrated to cloud via Jira Cloud Migration Assistant

Inactive users are users that don’t have any product access. In the example below, “User 1 Smith” is an inactive user with no access to Jira Software.

Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 3.14.36 PM.png

Inactive users after migration

During the migration, inactive users in cloud are migrated as active users with site access but without any product access. This means they will not be counted as active Jira users for billing purposes.

Why do inactive users become active after migration

To understand this, let's say you've both Jira and Confluence present in your server instance. There are 50 users in Confluence server and there are 100 users in Jira server. Out of 100 users, 50 users are common in both Jira and Confluence. Also, there are 10 inactive users among the 50 common users. These inactive users are disabled in Jira, but they do have Confluence access.

You start with Confluence migration using the Confluence Cloud Migration Assistant. 50 users in Confluence server are migrated to the destination cloud site.

When migrating Jira using Jira Cloud Migration Assistant, 10 inactive users are converted into active users in the cloud site. This is to ensure that they are active in cloud with site access and they continue to have Confluence access and no Jira access. Be assured that the active users in cloud will only get site access.

In case the user is inactive in both Confluence and Jira, they will be migrated to cloud with active status and access to cloud site. However, they will continue without any product access in cloud as well.

The table below lists the different multi-product migration scenarios. User “Lisa” highlights the scenario where an inactive user is migrated to cloud. We need to give “Lisa” site access so that we don’t create any conflict with her existing access, which is Jira server in this case.

Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 2.54.14 PM.png

Also, the product access for users is defined by the groups they are in; however, the inactive users are not included in the existing groups during migration. Learn more about how groups and permissions are migrated

If you have any questions or concerns, please comment on this post.

Need help on your migration and don’t know where to begin? Visit the Atlassian Migration Center or get in touch with our verified Solution Partners.

8 comments

Comment

Francisco D March 4, 2022

Thanks a lot for your explication Radhika!

So, I've  understood that,

If I want to make a Jira Software Server migration -where a few users are logged in  from  AD and several users who aren't in AD-  to a Jira Cloud + Atlassian Access - , I'll import all AD users but only assign Jira to active for Jira and make a new group in Atlassian Access for people who was logged-in from out AD. ¿Isn't It?

By other hand, I am wondering , right now, around  users Cycle Life so,

Is each license  vinculated to emails -or username  or user ID or ...  - forever or if I take 100 Jira cloud licenses  and  100 Atlassian licenses the asignation will be dinamic and about  management only is important that there's not more than 100 asigned users anytime?

Thanks a lot

Like Sri Kumar likes this
Kevin Shrapnell March 9, 2022

As a result do all inactive users who become active during the migration process need licenses at the destination server?

Like Sri Kumar likes this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2022

Well Written @Radhika Patodiya ,

Can you also talk about the migration plugin that handles the Deleted users from the  server directory?

Below are two scenarios that we have seen most often

1. The employee left the company so his account is deleted and the migration plugin complains that his email id is invalid or duplicated and not able to proceed further with the migration.
  2. The employee has left the company so his account is deleted, we want to preserve his membership/reference even after migration to the cloud site but it shows as a Former user / Unkwon user. 

Regards,
Sri

Aleksandar Salevski
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 30, 2022

Hi,

I've trayed to migrate the project with inactive users, that were included as assignee and in comments, but no way to proceed unless I delete those tickets.

Any suggestions

Aleksandar Salevski
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 30, 2022

The problem is that those users are shown as never logged in to Jira and they don't have email addresses. 

Scottie Brimmer November 9, 2022

And these users are showing up in the Reporter/Tempo drop downs!  UGH.

Gerben Heinen January 20, 2023

Is there a better solution than deleting all content from an inactive user who doesn't have a valid emailaddress?

The user isn't available in our AD anymore, so there is no way to add an emailaddress, but it does drop migration to the cloud

bilel.arfaoui November 16, 2023

Thanks for the explanation, but what happens when I delete a user before migrating to cloud ? Will their action be available under a certain name such as "former user" ?? 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events