Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if we DON'T migrate?

Victoria Bertorelli
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 20, 2023

For clarity, I'd like to get a better understanding of what happens if we don't migrate from Jira Server. Just playing devil's advocate. On 16th February, I can still log in and use Jira, right? I could continue using Jira Server until such point that I encountered an error which I can't workaround and which I'd require Atlassian's help with. This could be weeks or months. Is this correct, or have I missed something?

5 answers

4 accepted

Suggest an answer

5 votes
Answer accepted
Jacques June 20, 2023

Hello @Victoria Bertorelli ,

Basically what will happen is that you can continue to use your Jira server until it no longer serves your needs. However, you will not be able to:

• Upgrade Jira to newer versions past the expiration date, and as such miss out on new features, bugfixes and the like.
  • No longer request support from Atlassian and/or app vendors from the marketplace.
  • You might become vulnerable to issues detected after your license has expired

You might want to scroll through this page: https://www.atlassian.com/migration/assess/journey-to-cloud. Especially the FAQ's at the end of the page will answer most of your questions.

Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to reach out if you need more help!

Kind regards,
--- Jacques.

3 votes
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2023

Hi @Victoria Bertorelli ,

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, you can still use your server instance after 16th February. You will loose support and there will be no (security) fixes and upgrades available in general.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2023

Will not be able to buy more licence and apps too

Jesper Halden June 20, 2023

You cannot buy server licenses anymore already now...

Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2023

it is always good to remind some basics stuff

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kirstin Seidel-Gebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2023

All yes, from my point of view.

2 votes
StephanieC June 20, 2023

Considering (and agreeing with) all of the above, if your company takes security vulnerabilities seriously (and I hope they do) you could get stuck in a place where one is introduced and you do not have the ability to remediate it by upgrading.

You would be forced to make a "quick move" to Data Center... which isnt a horrible thing, but if you also havent done the research to ensure all of your current apps have a Data Center version, you could lose some functionality (though you do gain a bit of cool things with DC) 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events