What advice would you give others who are migrating to Cloud?

Elizabeth Howden
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2021

Hi Community,

This collection is a great place to ask questions, find resources, or share about your own migration experience.

So, let's get a discussion going: if you've already migrated or are in the process of doing so, what do you wish you'd known before you started? What advice would you give other customers who are considering moving to Atlassian Cloud?

Cheers,

Elizabeth

8 comments

Comment

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2021

Well, I don't fall to either of these two categories, but I would really like to know from someone who's done the migration, to give his/her two cents! I'm all ears!

Like Elizabeth Howden likes this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2021

The preparation part is always the most difficult for me, because a lot of companies don't have much documentation (why they've implemented some functionality, if it is still used / needed and what for etc.). Also a lot of free / custom / special functionality is used and needs to be replaced, because it doesn't make sense to continue with it or it is not possible in cloud.

Usually I need to revise every single process and change the solution of a lot of things completely, before I got to the point, when the instance is migratable to cloud.

So, from my point of view I would say two things:

• document your solution as much as possible
  • think twice (thrice), whether you really need to add new special functionality to your instance 
Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2021

@Hana Kučerová how long did that took you? I know that it varies, but I'd like to know if that is something you can share!

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2021

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_ sure

Yes, it depends on how much the customer cooperates, how many applications / integrations they have etc... but in general - months.

Atlassian states, that it usually 3 - 12 months are needed for the migration. So far I can only confirm this.

Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
September 10, 2021

I just finished reading this post from @Pushpkant Garg, where he shares his experience migrating to the cloud. It might be resourceful, especially if you have precise questions. I know I had one question 😅

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2021

Thanx!

Like Huwen Arnone likes this
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2021

Thanks for sharing this!

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2021

Hi @Elizabeth Howden I heard a kind of common question from end users on the cost involvement at various stages of Cloud migration. Like: cost for pre-planning phase, during the migration and post migration charges as per the tools used. Well, I can't clearly answer them but to share the Licensing FAQ's Atlassian page. Do we have some kind of details on that?

Michaël Monserrat September 21, 2021

Hello, it is sometimes complex to find equivalences in the Apps.

Bernhard Breit September 21, 2021

Hello there. My advice on moving to the cloud:

Don´t.

You never can be sure that your data belong to you alone anymore, you won´t have the same performance as in your LAN and if your internet connection is down youre screwed.

Have a nice cloud day,

Bernhard.

Like Sarah Preston likes this
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2021

My advice would be to focus on your migration strategy and method to avoid any pitfalls. I would recommend reading more threads like this one on the Community and tuning in to webinars that get you thinking about the more strategic elements.

One article you may find useful is, Atlassian Cloud Migration: It's all about strategy not tragedy ☁️

Like Sarah Preston likes this
Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2021

There are 2 points of view on any migration:

• it's a pain in the arse!
  • its a great oportunity 

I always try to tackle the second one and use that opportunity to discard useless processes, rethink workflows and decide what we need to keep, drop or create. 

Talk to your stakeholders, convince them to try something new. 

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events