Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share Your Migration Journey and Learnings!

Amelie Winkler _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 28, 2023

Hi, fellow community members,

As Atlassian Server support ends in February 2024, most of us will face a new life on Data Center or Cloud. I'd love to hear where you currently are in your migration journeys and the lessons you’ve learned along the way.

So, how's your cloud migration journey going? Are you still in the planning phase, smack in the middle of your migration, or have you already made the big move?

And, of course, let's talk about the learnings you've gathered. I'm sure you'll have some stories to tell about unexpected hiccups, “aha” moments, and everything in between. Did you discover any valuable hacks, tools, or advice you'd want to pass on to others?

Some of the advice we heard from @Rachel Wright  and other migration experts:

• Clean up as much up-front as you can. It ensures you’re not migrating broken stuff and reduces the scope of the migration. Cleaning up after rarely happens because there are new priorities.

• Take the time to do proper pre-migration planning before getting into it. The more you do beforehand, the more successful your migration will be.

• Don’t start to implement the migration at 6:00 PM on a Sunday. Leave plenty of extra time to be available just in case things go differently, or you have to roll back, or there are unexpected consequences.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your journeys and discoveries, so others can benefit from your learnings. No experience is too small to share – every step counts!

giphy.gif

1 comment

Comment

Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2023

Thanks, @Amelie Winkler _Appfire_ !  Haven't started our migration journey yet.  It was on our roadmap for this year but unfortunately got derailed due to other priorities.  That said, I'm following this post for some other tips.  :)

Amelie Winkler _Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 6, 2023

Great to hear about your experience @Laurie Sciutti! Did you already start the migration preparation or did you postpone it before you got to it? 

As DC is still a viable option, many organizations will find it an easier move to complete within the Server's End-of-Life timeline.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events