Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My cloud Migration Journey

Hello Everyone, 

I am Deepanshu, I am an Atlassian Consultant at Modus Create. I have helped multiple organizations successfully migrate to Atlassian Cloud. And this weekend, my own organization is migrating to Atlassian Cloud. I and my team have been waiting for this for months and we are very excited that it's finally happening now. Here are more details:

• Company & your role?
    • Modus Create, Atlassian Consultant

• Size of your company?
    • ~500

• Atlassian products your team uses?
    • Jira, Jira Service Management, Confluence, Trello, BitBucket

• Which teams use Atlassian products - dev, non-dev, both?
    • Both

• Integrations or key apps?
    • Integration with BitBucket, Harvest, GitHub, LucidChart, Google Drive
  • What surprised you most about the migration to cloud?
    • Excellent support from Atlassian, Ease of use of CCMA for migration of Confluence.
  • What technical a-ha moment helped you get across the finish line?
    • Having sandbox to test the migration before we do it for the production has really helped a lot eliminating any issues while we are doing it for production.
    • A utility by Atlassian which helps to migrate attachments from Jira server to cloud
  • What advice would you give other customers starting a migration? What do you wish you’d known?
    • Spend considerable time on planning the migration of marketplace apps. 
    • Do at least a couple of test migrations and provide users ample time to do the validation
    • Work on the regular announcements about the migration, timelines so that the end-users are not surprised when you finally do the migration.
    •  Work on creating great, detailed documentation and FAQ's so that you are not bombarded with common queries after migration. It also helps the end-users finding answers to their queries.
    • Spend a good amount of time on planning user migration. This can be complex.
  • What migration strategy and method did you use?
    • Site backup and restore for Jira, CCMA for Confluence
  • What’s the best part of life in cloud post-migration?
    • Reduced Maintenance overheads.
    • Ease of use.

5 comments

Comment

Shivansh Bhatnagar July 23, 2021

@Deepanshu Natani sir keep up. Your hard work paid off 😃

Elizabeth Howden
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 23, 2021

Thanks for sharing @Deepanshu Natani - this is great!

And I love your advice to invest time in documentation and FAQs for end users post-migration. Definitely good to anticipate those questions ahead of time to make the post-launch phase even smoother for the team!

Like # people like this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2021

@Elizabeth HowdenYeah, these two things have been of great use to me, since I have to handle a very less number of common queries after the migration and I can concentrate on resolving the major ones (if there are any) :-)

Jacob Wisner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 9, 2021

Hi @Deepanshu Natani! The Atlassian Work Life blog published an article today featuring you and your story! Link to the article: "Here’s what you should know about Cloud migration, according to those who’ve been there."  

Thanks for being willing to share your experience for other Community to see and learn from! Wanted to make sure you were aware of the post—and if you end up sharing the blog on social, tag us and let us know!

Like Deepanshu Natani likes this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2021

@Jacob Wisner Thanks for sharing this update here. This really made my day!! :-)

Like Jacob Wisner likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events