Migration fails on user migration phase

Kamil Klimek March 1, 2022

Hi guys

I am trying to test migration path for an app, but I encountered a blocker. Migration fails on use migration phase with an error shown on in the screenshot. Migration fails instantly.

migration-failure.PNG

This issue occurs on fresh Jira Server and Jira Cloud instances. There's one simple project and one admin user on the whole instance. Migration fails with "One or more users have an invalid email address" error message. However, all pre migration checks pass.

Furthermore, I was trying to use different domain in email - correct and dumblike 'localhost.com' or 'domain.com'. None of those don't work.

I think, the error message is incorrect, but I haven't found any interesting things in Jira logs. Even if I enabled DEBUG level logs for `com.atlassian.jira.migration` classpath.

Any ideas how to fix that issue? 

Environment:

- Jira server: tested on v8.20 and v8.0.0

- Jira Cloud Migration Assistant: tested on v1.6.7 and v1.6.6

Cheers,

Kamil.

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kamil Klimek April 22, 2022

Hi guys

It's been long time since I described the issue. Finally, I managed to resolve that with Atlassian support help.

As I assumed an error message was misleading and the issue doesn't even relate to users' email addresses. The problem was caused by missing SEN on Jira instance.

For development and testing purpose we use timebomb license and it turned out that one of them doesn't generate SEN for an instance. However, “10 user Jira Software Data Center license, expires in 3 hours” license generates SEN and migrations go smoothly now. If you will ever encounter this issue, you can check your SEN here: "/plugins/servlet/applications/versions-licenses" - if it's empty you should change license.

Here is official ecosystem ticket https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/14/DEVHELP-14863

Cheers,
Kamil.

0 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2022

Hi @Kamil Klimek 

If possible check entries in cwd_user table. There are almost certainly user records with emails that do not match the expected format. These commonly come from external LDAP directories.

there should be a detailed log

0 votes
Kamil Klimek March 1, 2022

It may be important - migrations have been working properly last week. I assume my organization could made an under hood changes that might affect migration process.

However, I am not able to identify source of problem. 

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2022

What’s in your logs and reports tab?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events