Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration advices

Dominika KuraÅ›-Moskwa _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 11, 2023

Hello Community

What type of advices you wish you had heard before you start your migration journey? 🤔 All ideas are welcome! 

2 comments

Comment

Michael Thompson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2023

Well I learned the hard way that installing your apps into a Jira sandbox to test in advance of your go-live date is a very bad idea, since any non-Atlassian app is not included in the free 1-year instance.

We set up a sandbox for testing a good 6 months before go-live, and a month after installing the apps their trial periods all ended and we were going to be charged for their use! It took me several weeks to clear it all up with the vendors.

If you have to install them early for testing, do so and then turn off the trials within 30 days.

Rick Pena October 27, 2023

Same here.

Krista Stellar October 28, 2023

Hi, as a Solution Partner we help many organizations migrate from server to the cloud. When we first started we following the Atlassian migration phases and spent quite a bit of time preparing detailed plans and a runbook before we started testing. Then we discovered many of our assumptions made during planning weren't quite valid. Plus, testing uncovered many unexpected issues that we had not planned for. Lastly, the JCMA and CCMA are constantly changing, evolving and improving.

We now use a test-driven approach to our migration projects. We do some up front planning, but only enough to get a general sense of the scope and to prepare the server (mainly to fix users). Then we get down to testing. Our experience from testing is used to finalize the plans and the Migration Runbook.

I wish someone had mentioned to me to start testing early and to test often!

Like • Michael Thompson likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events