Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Migration tool update existing project

briffle May 3, 2022

We have run the migration tool on one of our projects, to test things out.  We have had to go through and 'clean up' quite a few changes to the workflow. These were spelled out nicely in the reports after the migration, but take some time to manually change.

We have had some people do some verification, etc, and now some time has passed. 

Ideally, I would like to 'update' the existing stuff with new changes that have happened to the source (jira server) project, such as new tickets, comments, etc.

This link makes it sound like this should be possible: https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/how-the-jira-cloud-migration-assistant-links-your-data/

however, when I try, I get an error that says:

Projects already exist in your cloud site

Each project must have a unique name and project key. This includes the history of any changed project keys on your cloud site. To continue, you can:

learn how to delete duplicate projects in your cloud site
read the guide on resetting your entire cloud site
remove these projects from the migration by selecting Remove projects from this migration

is this not possible?
Is my only solution for each project to migrate, manually update, get sign-off and verification, then delete the project and do it all again? I have >80 projects, and some are very large and full of attachments.

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Hilbig [team neusta] May 3, 2022

Yep, thats the only way, you cannot use the JCMA to update a project that is already present. 

Trash Project, go to Trash, Delete Permanently, Wait until its actually deleted which may take a while with larger projects. Rinse&repeat for every change.

What you can do is pre-migrate the attachments, which would speed up the actual migration run of the project, especially if you need to iterate a lot.

Having just finished a medium-size migration for a client (~200 projects over 12 months), it was quite a bumpy ride, and we're still cleaning up and fighitng some migration bugs, but the Atlassian migration support is excellent.

0 votes
Matteo Vecchiato May 3, 2022

In order to speed up the cleaning, you can create a groovy script to delete all project automatically. 

You can run that script using some add-ons, maybe trial versione, like scriptrunner.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events