Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Cloud Migration

Brennan Hitchcock July 9, 2020

We used JIRA cloud migration to move ~60 projects to the cloud instance last week without issue. Now today we're trying to move a last and final project to finish our move and no matter what permission schema I apply we get this message after it attempts to migrate: 

2020-07-09 19:30:32.145 ERROR HA project-import We couldn't import Project HA. Reason: IllegalArgumentException: Permission scheme [10002] does not exist. This caused 121379 other items to fail.

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Answer accepted
Brennan Hitchcock July 10, 2020

Given the information from @Jason Wong I was able to workaround this limitation. I created a new permissions schema by copying the default and then assigned my project to that schema. This allowed the tool to migrate the project successfully. 

2 votes
Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2020

Hi @Brennan Hitchcock

I think what's happened here is that Permission scheme [10002] had been previously migrated using Jira Cloud Migration Assistant, but then after that first migration run, it's likely that it was then deleted in Jira Cloud. Do you recall deleting it? Can you find it in the UI or is it now no longer there?

The Jira Cloud Migration Assistant has a mapping service that keeps memory of what has been migrated, and is programmed to relink to objects that have already been migrated in a previous run. This is so that we keep the configuration relationships the same and avoid migrating duplicates and causing a mess in Jira Cloud.

The details of how this mapping works are in the diagram on this page - https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/how-the-jira-cloud-migration-assistant-links-your-data-993925217.html 

A current limitation is that when something that has been migrated has been deleted, this mapping memory is not deleted accordingly. This is why when you run a migration involving that deleted item (in your case Permission Scheme [10002]) the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant then returns an error as it is expecting to link back to a previously migrated object that was deleted.

Do that seem to be the case?

We are investing ways to improve on this - so I'd encourage you to comment and vote on this ticket - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/MIG-163

I will follow up by opening a support ticket for you - Our support engineers will be able to reset the memory for you manually and help you though this situation. We will be in touch shortly!

Jason Wong

Product Manager, Cloud MIgrations

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2020

@Brennan Hitchcock - please re-post your error message examples to your MOVE ticket (you should see an update in your email) and @Ting _Chiou Ting Teh_ will help you work through the issue.

Brennan Hitchcock July 10, 2020

@Jason Wong - Yes we did do a schema cleanup after the initial migration not realizing that the process wouldn't move the appropriate scheme with a subsequent project migration. I'll post this over in the MOVE ticket as well but I'd like any solution posted here as well for future people having the same issue. 

Like Jason Wong likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events