Is there a way to redirect users who browse to Jira/Confluence URLS after cloud migration?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2022

I am in the middle of a server-to-cloud migration, and the team I am working with would like users to be redirected automatically to the cloud if they use their old server URLs.

This would be for both internal users and users on the internet.

Is this possible, and if so, how? Please understand that my skillset is with the Atlassian Toolset and not really on the infrastructure side, and while I realize this is not directly related to the Atlassian tools, it's part of the overall user experience in a migration, and I'm just trying to deliver as much as I can.

----

EDIT - some information was shared after this question was asked but the response was deleted:

----

PS Secondary Edit:

I couldn't find my own question when I looked earlier, but I did indeed ask something very similar some time ago - please see https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Atlassian-Migration-Program/Post-migration-redirects/qaq-p/1752892

3 answers

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Nick Dring November 7, 2022

Hi @Rob Horan as @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ when we migrated to the cloud we applied a redirect on the server.

I did think about making leaving the server instance in read-only mode with an announcement, but in the end, I just opted for a simple catch-all redirect.

What we did do though is communicate through other channels, email, notice boards and posters etc that we were moving.

Also, for a month or so after migrating, we had a special announcement message that greeted users who had been redirected to the cloud login so they knew they had reched the right place :)

Best of luck! If it helps I can say that 8 months on, things are working well, and I'm glad we made the jump.

Nick

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2022

Thanks @Nick Dring ,

The one constant I've seen with URL changes and cloud migrations is everyone ignores the communications: email, banners, Slack, etc., and tries to use their old links.

Full disclosure: I am unfamiliar with the web back end, so I sometimes need to ask many basic questions.  It's like my car.  I can drive it well, but if I had to talk about the innards and greasy bits, I would need some help.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Nick Dring November 7, 2022

Hi,

I was worried about how users would find the migration, but in the end, it wasn't such a big deal. There were some people, shall we say less technically minded who had some issues, but they were always going to be an issue. 

I guess I should say that we use Atlassian internally within our foundation, we aren't a business.

The biggest issue I had was related to the actual JCM plugin. But as we got closer to the migration date, the improvements in the plugin and process made everything fairly pain-free. 

Once we migrated, we had a few issues with Atlassian Access, but that was down to us not Atlassian.

What I would suggest is to do lots of test runs of the migration process and go through the migration guide: https://www.atlassian.com/migration/plan/cloud-guide#atlassian-team as it will help you with things you might not have considered.

Nick

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2022

@Nick Dring - has anyone asked about their dashboards or cross-project boards yet?  :)

Sorry, I'm perverse, I know.  I just put out a blog on getting those over, so its fresh on my mind.

Nick Dring November 10, 2022

Hi Rob,

With our Jira server, we had Jira and Jira Service Desk. So we used boards in a lot of Service Desk projects.

On the cloud, we decided to just use JSM. Some of my agent colleagues were a bit miffed not having boards anymore, but they soon got over it, and I'm hoping Atlassian will bring boards to JSM - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-8389

As for dashboards, no one really goes mad there, so I just made some new ones and shared them out.

Nick

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2022
2 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2022

Hi @Rob Horan ,

this is something that should be put in place out of application.

If your server/dc instance has a reverse proxy/dns, you should apply redirect at that level.

Fabio 

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2022

@Rob Horan -

Hi Rob:

I agreed with what @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ stated on implementing the redirect at the server/dc instance.  In regards to your second ask, your previous posting is still there and accessible within the same community group (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Atlassian-Migration-Program/gh-p/migration) - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Atlassian-Migration-Program/Post-migration-redirects/qaq-p/1752892

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events