Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I migrate my data from TFS to Jira On-Demand?

Anthony December 6, 2012

My team and I would like to migrate from TFS 2010 and start using Jira & Greenhopper OnDemand as our new system. We have significant data that needs to be moved over, including hyperlinks and attachments. How can I do this?

I've found many plugins, but they all involve self-hosting Jira, and not using the OnDemand web hosting platform, which is what we truly want. CSV isn't an option because I don't think we can export attachments/links appropriately in a way that would re-link them.

The only options I'm seeing are to self-host Jira and migrate everything with a plugin, THEN do a migration path to Jira On Demand, or see which Jira competitors can interface with TFS, and then possibly switch back to Jira OnDemand using one of their built-in competitor imports like FogBugz on demand, if that makes sense.

Please help? Thank you!

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andrzej Pasterczyk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2012

Hi,

We have built a tool that allows exporting of TFS workitem to CSV format including some transformation rules. Unfortunatelly it's in early stage (tested in one environment, exported over 12,000 workitems) and is not documented at all. It can handle attachments and links between work items, but not hyperlinks (yet). Those are exported to separate files (CSV holds only jira issue fileds) and our software uploads it using JIRA REST API.

If you're interested to try it out send me an email at andrzej.pasterczyk@pigsty.com.pl and we can discuss it further.

If you want only basic export (export data as is) and have some time to script the attachments then Bob's solution should be OK.

jayr51773 December 14, 2015

Hi Andrzej, Is this tool still available? I'd like to export TFS data and import into a JIRA cloud instance. A small data set...300 or so work items. Thanks, Jay

Ryan Green April 4, 2016

I too would like this tool to help our data migration of TFS data including comments, history, and file attachements to Jira.  We are also evaluating your UseTFS sync tool as well.  Please reach out to me @ ryangreen@playlsi.com

1 vote
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2012

Perhaps there is a canned solution available, but I just finished a project that dynamically imports (mirrors) TFS data produced by a TFS WIQL query into JIRA via JIRA Command Line Interface (which will work with JIRA OnDemand). Just needed a subset of the data in JIRA and that did not include attachments. Attachments can be added via the JCLI provided you can provide a file path. Someone else did the WIQL stuff, but the JIRA side was straighforward once you figure out what data you want and how it maps in.

0 votes
Abdulrazaq Mohammed Ali Omar
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2012

Hi Cardoney,

The most veasible workaround now is to import your data to a new JIRA installed version, and export all your data from there to OnDemand JIRA. Or you can go ahead with one of the workarounds provided by Bob or Swiniak :).

All the best.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events