Help us eliminate busy work (and win a cloudie)

September 22nd marks the start of a new season. For many of us in the Northern Hemisphere, the dog days of Summer are behind us, so lazy beach days have been replaced by new routines and new goals.

As we settle into the new season, our team is focused on spending our hours more efficiently. That means focusing on the most interesting and impactful work - not just the tasks to cross off to-do lists. We’ve been having lots of conversations about what working better together could mean, how we can eliminate the “busy work” that creeps in, and how we can be more strategic about what we invest in. In other words, we don’t want to be busy. We want to be productive. Sound familiar?

Google “how to be more productive” and you’ll find endless how-to articles and no shortage of life advice or productivity hacks. But the time for “hacks” has passed and there’s no group better at GSD than those I’ve met through the Atlassian Community.

So I want to know: what does productivity mean to you? Fill in the blanks and let us know in the comments below! Share your secret sauce and you’ll be entered to win one of 5 “cloudie” plushies. :slight_smile:

1. When I’m productive, I always ______.

2. When I’m productive, I never _________.

3. If I had a magic productivity wand, I would want to:

1. Work more closely in-sync with my team

2. Be able to do my job faster

3. Have a better understanding of my work so I know how to invest for max impact

4. __________ in Jira, Confluence, or Bitbucket helps me be more productive.

I’ll go first.

1. When I’m productive, I always feel connected to my team and understand how our work connects.

2. When I’m productive, I never try to multitask.

3. If I had a magic wand, I wish I could: have a better understanding of my work so I know how to invest for max impact.

4. In-line commenting in Confluence helps me be more productive.

Your turn!

12 comments

Comment

Elizabeth Howden
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2022

Love this! My answers would be: 

1. When I’m productive, I always have a sense of how my work impacts business goals. 

2. When I’m productive, I never waste time. :) 

3. If I had a magic productivity wand, I would want to: Be able to do my job faster!

4. Cross-product search in Jira and Confluence helps me be more productive

Like # people like this
Hosana
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2022

My turn:

1. When I’m productive, I always feel better about myself and my work!

2. When I’m productive, I never try to look at my phone.

3. If I had a magic wand, I wish I could have: more hours in my day for work and for fun!

4. Jira automation helps me be more productive.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022
  1. When I’m productive, I always spend at least an hour on doing one task (hopefully well), and can explain what I've achieved over the day's family dinner.

2. When I’m productive, I never react to interruptions like 'phone calls, slack messages, texts etc.

1. Block time-wasters (that's quite a devastating one if you think it through - I'm asking for things like timesheets, holiday booking, corporate bo****ks, and all the other needlessly over-complicated paperwork to go away)

2. Get the focus right.  At the moment, this does not apply to me, but I know of people under pressure to deliver X when what they want to deliver is Y.  Y is better for the client, and better for us, but X makes us a bit more money in the short term.  It's not what our people signed up for and it is quite toxic.
    3. Work more closely with my colleagues.  I like these people, I want to be with them more.  (On a productivity scale though, we are not good at sharing, there's a kit of wheel re-inventing going on here at the moment)

4. Have a better understanding of my customers

4. A consistent source of data in Jira, Confluence, or Bitbucket helps me be more productive.

Like # people like this
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

Interesting!! Here are my answers

When I’m productive, I am always pumped up to do my work / learn something new or have a feeling that most of my knowledge was worth / fruitful 

When I’m productive, I never doubt myself on the work I'm doing and doesn't pay much attention to anything else.

If I had a magic productivity wand, I would want to:

1. Build apps and be a master at programming language

2. Build team and grow business

3. Help customers interactively to follow DevSecOps Culture in their environment with Atlassian Solutions

Automation in Jira, Insights in Confluence, or Pipelines in Bitbucket helps me be more productive.

Thanks

Like # people like this
Katie Zavhorodnia_Appfire September 19, 2022

Cool idea) I will give it a try:

1. When I’m productive, I always eat the frog 🐸 - take the most difficult/biggest task to work at

2. When I’m productive, I never change a thing about my work setup, room temperature, lighting, etc, anything to keep the ball rolling. And make sure I have cookies/chocolate at hand all the time.

3. If I had a magic productivity wand, I would want to: make my brain work 10x more creative 🪄🧠 and fingers double and type autonomously ;)

AromaticPrestigiousDeinonychus-max-1mb.gif

4. Integrations with many tools in Jira and improved navigation in Confluence help me be more productive. 

Like # people like this
Diana_Architect_ZigiWave
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 19, 2022

- When I’m productive, I always think about the positive outcome of my work.
- When I’m productive, I never distract myself with nonsense.
- If I had a magic productivity wand, I would want to:
inspire people to be more creative and trust themselves
help others solve their problems in a heartbeat
eliminate everything that may waste time and effort
- The automation and optimization of workflow in Jira help me be more productive.

Like Vikki Ulmer likes this
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2022

I would like to give it a go as well :)

1. When I’m productive, I always stay focused on my work.
  2. When I’m productive, I never lose focus on my work.
    1. Instantly remove all distractions I have
    2. Be able to multi-task (probably clone myself so I can do more work 😂); a.k.a. have the ability to add more hours to the day when needed
    3. Be able to build my team relationship and keep my productivity on the same level
    4. When needed, be able to (re)balance business and private productivity
  4. Search in the navigation bar in Jira and Confluence helps me be more productive. (sorry @Elizabeth Howden for stealing the last one, but it's my most used feature by far 😄)
Jenn Velázquez_Appfire_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 20, 2022
  1. When I’m productive, I always feel calmer and confident that my team and I are working on the right things at the right time.
  2. When I’m productive, I never feel overwhelmed or overworked.
  3. If I had a magic wand, I wish I could: help others gain confidence and drive to see how their work could impact the bigger picture.
  4. The variety of plug-ins accessible for Jira helps me be more productive.
Łukasz Modzelewski _TTPSC_
Marketplace Partner
September 21, 2022
  1. When I’m productive, I always make decisions faster, because I'm more confident and everything is simple.
  2. When I’m productive, I never attend meetings without my required presence.
    1. Use it on me and others.
    2. Share it with the Team (so they could use it on themselves and others).
    3. Always go straight to the point/value.
  4. Linking and keeping all insights and ideas in Jira, Confluence helps me be more productive.
Andrey Kiyanovskiy September 22, 2022

1. When I’m productive, I always stay focused, do my job quickly, work less, rest more.

2. When I’m productive, I never get distracted by messages, news, etc.

3. If I had a magic productivity wand, I would want to have 48 per day or at least 4 days work week.

4. Fast page response in Jira, Confluence, or Bitbucket helps me be more productive.

André Hinz September 23, 2022

For me it would be:

1. When I’m productive, I always have my priorities straight and work in flow on the most valuable task.
  2. When I’m productive, I never have doubts about whether I'm investing my time in the right task.
  3. If I had a magic productivity wand, I would want to: Work more closely in-sync with my team
  4. Highly customizable task boards and backlogs in Jira, Confluence, or Bitbucket helps me be more productive.
Sylvie Ruffin September 23, 2022

In my case:

1. When I’m productive, I am working on something I understand and even if I don't know the perfect solution I have pretty much good ideas on what to do and where I want to go/be (optionnally discussed with other members of the team to get inputs).
  2. When I’m productive, I never have doubts on the benefits that what I am doing will bring.
  3. If I had a magic productivity wand, I would want to use that magic to make sure the users requirements are well captured and understood.
  4. Describing the procedures that I use once in a while in Confluence helps me and the team be more productive: next time we need it we know where to go look for what we agreed on (optionnally enhancing it).
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events