Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GSuite integration and alias addresses

John Masson June 20, 2020

Hi,

Not really a Cloud Migration question, we've always been on Cloud, but I wasn't sure where else this fit.

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has done this before and confirm the behaviour..

On the Connect to G Suite documentation page it notes:

If a user you’re syncing from G Suite already exists in a site, we’ll link the Google and Atlassian accounts based on their primary email address.

In our instance, all of our Atlassian accounts almost all use an alias addresses - one with a .com extension, while the primary addresses are all `.co.nz` domains.

So I thought step one would be to update all of the email addresses on the Atlassian side to use primary email addresses. But then, on the Troubleshoot your G Suite connection I read:

Because your users must log in with Google and can’t use an email alias, G Suite will look at any email aliases (secondary email) associated with the account in G Suite and update the user's Atlassian account to use this primary email address instead.

This would indicate that there's no need to do anything more than verify our users are using a valid primary or alias address from our GSuite account, and the process of connecting it to the Atlassian instance will update all address in the later automatically.

It very much reads this way, but since it wasn't noted in the main instructions page, and there is no "staging" environment to test this in and be sure, I was hoping to hear from someone who's been in the same situation and can verify the behaviour for me.

Regards,

John

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2022

HI @John Masson 

We ran into this situation some days back and I can confirm it updates the primary email if you are only using an email alias.

Thanks,
Pramodh

John Masson January 23, 2022

Thanks Pramodh.

Like Pramodh M likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events