Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to migrate users from Jira Server if I already have Atlassian Access configured in Cloud?

Neil Winking February 22, 2023

Last year, we set up a new JSM instance in the Atlassian Cloud. With this, I configured Atlassian Access and tied it to our Azure AD.

Now I'm ready to migrate our Jira Server Software projects to Jira Cloud. We are using an LDAP directory to the same AD users for the Server instance. Do I still need to migrate the users and groups from Server to Cloud? Our permissions structure in Server is admittedly somewhat messy and I was hoping to start fresh in the Cloud.

But I can't seem to figure out how to disable the migration of user and group data from Server to Cloud using JCMA.

Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2 answers

2 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Salim Richa February 22, 2023

Hello Neil,

You can choose to migrate only groups and users related to the project that you're choosing via JCMA.

Check this page for more info: https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/determine-your-user-migration-strategy/ 

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

Thank you for the link. I found this additional link at the bottom of that page and it gave some helpful information regarding my situation.

Recommendations for SCIM provisioning with Atlassian Access | Atlassian Support

Like Salim Richa likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Justin C February 22, 2023

Hello Neil,
I faced a similar problem during our migration. As far as I know, this doesn't work.

We migrated several hundred users. Some of them were linked to the existing Atlassian account in the cloud, others are orphaned because the naming convention didn't match or were already inactive on the server.
Fortunately, Access does not calculate all users in a policy, but only those who are really active. It's not the cleanest solution, but it works pretty well for us!

best regards

Justin

Michael Blake February 22, 2023

Just so you know, if you choose to NOT migrate all the users and groups on each migration, they will not be in the project roles on the destination and the projects' access will have to be set up again.

It seemed like it was going to force me to migrate the users and groups. It wasn't giving me the option to proceed without selecting to migrate them.

I think I'll move forward with migrating one project as a test and bring along its users and groups just to see what happens. If it will merge the already existing cloud accounts, then this might not be a huge issue. I'll just have to clean up some outdated groups.

Thank you both for your input!

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events