Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Migration from on-prem to cloud article/space access

Craig McCutcheon July 17, 2020

Hi there, 3 year JIRA/Confluence user, but 1st time community poster!

We are currently under going a project to migrate our (currently 'live') on-prem install of Confluence to the Atlassian cloud version. We have been working through the documentation (pre-checks, installing the Confluence Migration tool, ect), but we have only one concern before going forward:

If we initiate the migration process, will all spaces and articles be removed from the current on-prem install of Confluence as it is migrated to the cloud?

Apologies if the above question is silly(!), but we just want to make sure so we can plan our approach going forward.

Many thanks :)

Craig.

2 answers

2 accepted

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Answer accepted
Ramona Scripcaru
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2020

Hi @Craig McCutcheon !

Exactly what @Alexis Robert said. No silly questions and the community is exactly for this, helping each, plus we know cloud migration is one of the most complex processes, and gathering all the details in the planning is essential.

The migration assistant will not remove any data from your current server, it will basically perform automatically space exports & imports to the target cloud site you'll be selecting.

I just wanted to add that you can also sign up for an Extended Cloud trial license if you haven't already, Extended cloud trials for server and Data Center customers

What I would highlight is to recommend performing at least one test migration, you can migrate your data to the new cloud site, then scheduled User Acceptance tests, confirm a migration runbook and then once you got all the details, you can wipe up the data previously imported on the target cloud site and schedule the production migration.

Also, if you run into any issues, please reach out to our support team at https://support.atlassian.com/contact/ , more on how Atlassian teams can also help you in this project on Atlassian cloud migration support scope.

Good luck!

Ramona

Craig McCutcheon July 18, 2020

Thank you for your answer, exactly what we needed to know going forward :)

I also appreciate the other information provided regarding test migration/wiping up imported data, and will certainly incorporate this into our migration plan.

Many thanks!

Craig.

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2020

Hi @Craig McCutcheon , 

don't worry, there are no silly questions here :)

I've done a few Confluence migrations and can confirm that no content is ever removed from your on-prem instance when using the Confluence Migration tool : it will always copy the data but won't change anything no the source instance.

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Craig McCutcheon July 18, 2020

Thank you for this Alexis, much appreciated as we can now continue on with our migration. Glad to have gotten a steer from someone who has done a few migrations in the past :)

Many thanks!

Craig.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events