Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot format date correctly when importing issues

Steve Nienaber June 30, 2023

I am importing Issues from a SCV and cannot find a way for Jira to take my date format.  CSV doesn't seem to allow dd/MMM/yy, which seems to be the only way Jira will import date fields.  

4 comments

Comment

Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2023

Hi @Steve Nienaber 

Welcome to the community!

There shouldn't be any problem if format in csv and import wizard matches.

Could you share a sample? Or try another format to import?

Also, please check this Dates are not properly imported from CSV file KB.

Like Kalin U likes this
Michelle Gronwold June 30, 2023

You can change the date format on the import screen to whatever you want it to be. Just be sure to keep the month as capital "M"'s. Click on the "SimpleDateFormat" for assistance on the format. How is the date formatted on your spreadsheet? We could possibley help you match the date format for import.

Jira import date.PNG

Like # people like this
Jacques July 3, 2023

Hey @Steve Nienaber ,

I usually use the following format for dates: yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm ... this usually works.

Any other method seems to have issues where days and months might get turned around. Eg: 11/03/2023, could be 3rd November, 2023; or 11th March 2023.

Hope this helps,
--- Jacques.

Steve Nienaber July 3, 2023

Thank you, so to clarify, if I change the format in Excel to this, it should import correctly?  image.png

Michelle Gronwold July 4, 2023

If you change your Excel date format to "2012-03-14", then you will also need to update the "jira import issues from CSV" date format to "yyyy-MM-dd". Whatever date format you are using in Excel, you will need to modify the Date Format field in jira to match.

Capture.PNG

Steve Nienaber July 5, 2023

I changed the Jira date format to yyyy-mm-dd (not yyyy-MM-dd as Excel does not seem to give that option) and this is the result:
image.png

Michelle Gronwold July 5, 2023

Jira needs the capital M's. Lowercase m's in Jira mean something else. 

Excel does not distinguish between lower or upper case in the format. Just jira.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events