cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i choose which users to migrate in Jira Migration Assistant

Nadia August 22, 2021

Hello all,

really urgent question i have:

can i choose a specific users to migrate? (i have this error that keeps telling me that i have duplicate users)

thanks

Nadia

2 answers

Suggest an answer

6 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2021

Hi @Nadia ,

In addition to the page @LarryBrock has pointed out, which is very helpful for understanding which users will be imported during a migration run, you can also run a database query to see which user accounts have the same email address. Since logins for Jira Cloud are the email address and not a username like on Server, all the email addresses must be unique. The database query is documented on JRASERVER-9182 but I've copied it here as well:

with users as (
 select lower_user_name, lower_email_address 
 from cwd_user CU
 join cwd_directory CD on CU.directory_id = CD.id and CD.active = 1
 group by lower_user_name, lower_email_address),
duplicated as (
 select lower_email_address from users
 group by lower_email_address 
 having count(lower_email_address) > 1)
select U.lower_user_name, U.lower_email_address, CD.directory_name , coalesce (UA.attribute_name, 'login.count') as attribute_name, coalesce (UA.attribute_value,'0') as attribute_value
from duplicated D
join cwd_user U on D.lower_email_address = U.lower_email_address 
join cwd_directory CD on U.directory_id = CD.id
left join cwd_user_attributes UA on UA.user_id = U.id and UA.attribute_name = 'login.count'
order by u.lower_email_address, attribute_value desc;

List of users in hand, you can change the email addresses on the accounts before running the migration job. Simply deactivating the users in question won't resolve the error, as deactivated users are still part of the migration run (they just aren't granted product access).

Cheers,
Daniel

4 votes
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2021

Hi @Nadia ,

This is the best page on user selection in JCMA I can find and it only gives two options, of which neither is the ability to pick specific users or groups. 

https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/migrate-users-and-groups/

Hope this helps,

~~Larry

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events