Welcome to the Atlassian Data Center Kubernetes group

Gaby Cardona
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 31, 2021

Hey y’all! Welcome to our new group  laugh

The Data Center deployments (DCD) team has been hard at work building a new feature that we know is going to make Data Center administration more seamless and scalable. As you probably guessed from the name, we’re excited to announce Atlassian Data Center for Kubernetes.

So what is it and why are we doing it?

As we all know, scale just changes things. Practices and processes that worked really well at a smaller size become more challenging to maintain as you grow and may not always adjust to meet your evolving business needs. One of the most challenging areas to manage at scale is infrastructure - especially if you have organizational requirements that you need to meet. Nevertheless, modernization is just as important to you and your teams.

On DCD, we’ve focused on how we can help you build the modern infrastructure you need without compromising your requirements. In the past, we’ve built things like templates for AWS and Azure and released Atlassian supported Docker images so that you can take advantage of cloud computing and begin to leverage containerization.

While each of these provides a lot of value on its own, admins of self-managed environments still need more to seamlessly scale. Enter Kubernetes (K8s).

K8s is an orchestration framework, which enables you to manage and run container images from a centralized location. With our new helm charts, you can deploy your Data Center products on a K8 cluster and host it either on your own hardware or a cloud provider.

What is this group about?

We know that many of you are already familiar with containers and orchestration frameworks, but we also know that there is always more to learn. This group will be a space where we, at Atlassian, can share our knowledge with all of you and help you on your way to becoming a K8s power admin.

You’ll also have access to:

• Announcements: Anytime we’re running any programs or have new features or changes to share, we’ll communicate that here.

• Guidance: In addition to our kick ass documentation - which we’ll link as a resource - we’ll be holding sessions leading up to the official launch where our team of experts will walk you through the ins-and-outs of Atlassian Data Center on Kubernetes, give demos of what it looks like in action, and answer your questions.

And with that, I’d like to kick off introductions and would love to hear more about all of you. 

I’m Gaby Cardona and I’m the technical PMM on the Enterprise Marketing team. When I’m not working with DCD, you can find me at the local coffee shop grabbing a cold brew or playing the Sims 4.

7 comments

Comment

Tanya Rosing
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 31, 2021

Hi everyone! I am Tanya Rosing and I’m the content designer for the Atlassian Data Center deployment team, and specifically our Kubernetes project. I am a new mum, so if I have any time I love doing yoga and reading.

I'm really excited about this new space!

Like # people like this
Adam Brokes
Atlassian Team
June 1, 2021

Hello, community! I am Adam Brokes and I am the feature lead for the Kubernetes project in the Data Center deployments team. When I am not drowning in a sea of containers I like to be around the real ocean, sailing or at least dreaming about sailing.

Ask me anything and welcome to this new space!

Like Jason Brison likes this
Carlos Corredor
Atlassian Team
June 1, 2021

Hi everyone! I’m Carlos Corredor and I’m an Engineering Manager on the Enterprise Data Center teams. When I’m not working, I like to be at the beach catching waves.

Welcome to this new space! 

Mike Ni
Atlassian Team
June 8, 2021

Hey, I am the product manager for Data Center deployment. Super excited to have this group here. I would love to hear everyone's story, feedback, and jokes about our products and K8s

Rodney Nissen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2021

Hey, I've written about this!

Like Adam Brokes likes this
Gaby Cardona
Atlassian Team
July 21, 2021

That's great! We love to hear from people who are just as excited about Kubernetes as we are.

meshack musembi July 20, 2021

Hi,I am Meshack Musembi and I’m the photographer for the Atlassian Community Nairobi team, so when I'm not working, i watch tech documentaries.

I'm super excited about this space!

Like Adam Brokes likes this
Gaby Cardona
Atlassian Team
July 21, 2021

Any good recommendations? 

Gary Nguyen January 22, 2022

@Gaby Cardona 

As an administrator for JIRA/Confluence, we're not expert in infrastructures and k8s.

Reading instructions from Atlassian documentation on helm charts/k8s, to tell you the true, we're totally lost with too much general details and all over the place with different technologies.

Therefore, we would love to have to things pre-defined and don't need much generalize. 

What we're looking for:
- JIRA/Confluence DC front end nodes are k8s containers on AWS EKS
- DB backend using AWS RDS, and sharehome AWS EFS

I think it's a very typical common way for those people are on AWS cloud.
Reading instructions in general ways are hard. Video tutorial with 3-4 common usecases and scenarios would be good to understand the idea. Then we can modify from there....

My 2 cents...

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events