Ace BBQ Pizza

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2021

Decision

When I read about the competition, my first thought was "nah, I can't really bake anything exceptional" but then I got an idea. What if I made a blue pizza with the Ace logo made out of cheese?!? So that is how I chose my recipe.

I used Trello to help me plan and execute. In the beginning the Trello board was more about listing up the ingredients and making sure the procurement process was streamlined. So my columns were: Ingredient, Needs Procurement, Procured, and Done. I listed up all the ingredients and moved them to proper column. My Needs Procurement column became my shopping list.

When all ingredients had been securely and verifiably brought into my kitchen, I arranged my Trello card in order of dough ingredients. After the dough was made, I moved all these into the column Done and then arranged the rest of the cards in order of application. BBQ sauce was first, then cheese. After that all the other toppings.

Recipe

The recipe is quite simple but very good. The dough from this recipe is excellent, especially if you let it rise 2-3 times between kneading. Below is a picture of the ingredients for the dough.

IMG-3735.jpg

The dough recipe

250 gr flour
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
150 ml water
1 & 1/2 tsp yeast
food coloring of choice (don't just make blue ones, go for the red and green this Christmas season!)

Mix the water and yeast. Let the yeast dissolve and "bubble".
Mix the dry ingredients together and form a hole at the bottom of the bowl.
Pour in the water mix into the hole and knead.
Let is rise for 45 min or so and knead again. Repeat 1-2 more times, if you have time, to extra airy dough. 

Toppings

Of course you can choose your very own but what I put on it was.
G Hughes sugar free BBQ original sauce
High quality pepperoni
Bacon
Minced garlic
Then I put Olive oil on the sides (crust)

Bake it at 425°F for about 12 min or so (depends on how thin you roll out the dough and also how soft/crisp you want the bottom to be).

Highs and Lows

Well, it started off really well off with the dough taking on a beautiful blue as the background to Ace. Here you can see the water, yeast, and blue food coloring mixed together. Isn't that just gorgeous?!?

IMG-3736.jpg

And as you can see in this picture, the building of the logo was looking good.

IMG-3737.jpg

However at this point I started thinking: what about the other toppings? After a deliberation with my team mate (my daughter), I took the executive decision to cover the logo up with toppings and put extra cheese over it all (like done in Iceland - cheese is on top!). So my creation drastically changed but that is ok because we are very agile in our methodology. We just rearranged the topping cards in the Procured column in Trello to reflect that change. Easy enough because Trello is such an awesome tool.

Another kink in the road was that when a blue pizza dough is baked with the olive oil on the crust/ends, it does change its color. Here the pizza is just about going into the oven with beautifully oiled ends (which are about to become tasty crust).

IMG-3738.jpg

Final Creation

Here is the final outcome, quite ugly to be honest. Turned into a Quasimodo. Guess too much cheese tends to "crawl"...

IMG-3739.jpg

But as with Quasimodo, I still love my blue pizza - imperfections and all! It did taste very sweet and actually really good. (But then again, bacon and BBQ sauce make everything heavenly). So don't judge the book by its cover... The crust was amazing and the sweetness of the BBQ sauce balanced the "blue taste" so...  No kidding, food coloring does not have any taste. Seriously though, I can't think why I didn't start making blue pizzas sooner!

4 comments

Comment

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2021

Looks tasty and the Colour turned out great @Kristján Geir Mathiesen ! 👏

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

It was really good! The BBQ sauce and bacon really did the trick.

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

bacon.gif

there is never enough bacon...

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

SO TRUE!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

Can't go wrong with pizza!! You should put some pineapple on there for @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Like Monique vdB likes this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

Yes! I was gonna and we had some but when the time came to make the pizza, my wife had used all the pineapple in her smoothie :/ 

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

Nic probably used all of his up in his smoothie anyway.  ;-)

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

I take it that @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- thinks it is "illegal" to put pineapple on a pizza...

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

"Illegal" would be the nicest thing that Nic would say about pineapple. haha

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
December 6, 2021

I love pineapple on pizza COME AT ME, NIC. I'M READY TO FIGHT.

Like # people like this
Mandy Ross
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
December 6, 2021

I GOT YOUR BACK MO! Nothing I love more than a good pineapple and pepperoni pizza (fight me)

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen @John Funk - just to be clear, it's not "pineapple on pizza" that should be illegal.  It's just pineapple.  Horrid stuff.

But if you do like it, then it probably does have a place on a pizza, I don't think there's any food that could not work on a pizza.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
December 6, 2021

Well this fight was over fast. I love pineapple in all forms, particularly in the form of Dole Whip and yes @Mandy Ross pepperoni and pineapple is the best pizza!

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

I'm a "live and let live" person - knock yourself out with your pineapple, and please take my fair share too ;-)  I don't want it! 

I'll swap you for your capers, olives, or chillis.  Morty will have your anchovies, and George will snaffle any chicken going (I don't eat meat).  Those are all things people tell me they don't like on their pizza!

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

Hahaha @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  its a good thing we don't like all the same things! Then life would be dull.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen  - absolutley, it would be a dull world if we were all the same.

For what it is worth, I'm quite interested in how different people ended up in the "pineapple on pizza" discussion. 

Mine was boring - party, drunk people, pizza was ordered, apparantly I was "the sober one" (nope), so I had to sort them into vege/meat/chilli etc, and I remember putting all the pineapple ones on the other side of the kitchen so I didn't have to open them and suffer.

However, this was also when I realised almost all food can go on pizza.  Sam wanted a banana and chilli pizza, and I was intringued.  She was right.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
December 6, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- when I visited Atlassian HQ I had prawn pizza for the first (and to date only) time. It was a little spicy too. I was in heaven; so good. I bet the Australians do banana-chili pizza. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

Last time I went to an Atlassian office, most of you were out on a ship-it day, so I had to just drink all the coffee and play ball with the dog who was in that day.

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2021

Hahaha, @John Funk seemed to have some insider info on the pineapples and you, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ...

Mandy Ross
Community Manager
December 6, 2021

@Kristján Geir Mathiesen this is AMAZING!!! I am in awe of your creativity. Why is there not more blue pizza in the world?

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

Right!?!? Thank you, @Mandy Ross  I made some more pizza dough this weekend and I just couldn't control myself and made it green this time :) I made some Mexican "Cornish Pasty" style food and my family was all laughing and asking: "why green?" 

henda.jpg

Like Monique vdB likes this
Bridget
Community Manager
December 7, 2021

I am OBSESSED with this pizza!! Great job @Kristján Geir Mathiesen . At the end of the day, it's all about keeping your teammates happy so I think you made the right decision. 

Wish I could have a slice! 

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2021

Aw thank you. You are so kind towards my Quasimodo.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events