Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to the cloud is a possibility but still has some minor challenges.

Over the last five years, I have been monitoring and watching the Atlassian cloud offering. The product line has continued to expand and grow as Atlassian has been heavily investing in the cloud.  I have watched the cloud products expand to become a solid offering with many benefits over data center.  Currently, we are reviewing the two offerings and determining the best path forward for our institution’s needs. 

We currently use Confluence, Jira, and Jira Service Management.  We have 2,000+ users and over 50,000+ service management customers.  We have been able to integrate our core enterprise applications into Jira allowing us to automate issue generation.  Departments from human resources, finance, marketing to admissions and IT all use the applications.  We run a development instance to test releases prior to updating our production instances. 

We are excited to see Jira Work Management eventually move to Data Center or Server and be a part of those product offerings.  If we had a magic wand we would wave it and make it a part of those offerings today.  We are excited to see user limits continue to increase on the cloud offerings.  The upcoming sandbox release in cloud is also very exciting as this will allow for testing and validation outside of the production environment.   

The true draw to the cloud offerings is having Atlassian host the product for you and being on the cutting edge of their release technology.  Apps, user limits, and security have all improved over the last five years making it a viable product. One hurdle that still remains is FERPA.  In order to truly use the application in higher education, it would be great if Atlassian could support FERPA. 

We will continue to watch Atlassian make strides to close the gap and provide a more robust solution for higher education users in the cloud.  We hope that prior to the server offering being sunset cloud will meet FERPA requirements.

2 comments

Comment

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2021

@Brant Schroeder - JWM isn't coming to Data Center, right? I'd also be excited to see some of Cloud's quality-of-life improvements come to DC, but for now I'm okay with constructing bespoke Jira configs for on-prem enterprise customers that demand it.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2021

I was hoping at some point they would push JWM to Data Center but I believe you are right that there is no plan to do so.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events