Migrate Jira Software 6.3.4 to cloud

PavelKarpenka April 23, 2020

Hello!

We have JIRA 6.3.4 standalone installed on our premises.
We need to migrate our projects to JIRA Cloud. 
As I read in older issues, there will be two-step upgrade to the new version of JIRA server including some DB manipulations. And then we need to use Cloud Migration Assistant.

Could you please tell what steps we will need to perform in order to migrate our projects before we did something wrong? 

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2020

Hi @PavelKarpenka , 

there are a few steps to perform a successful Cloud migration. Based on the information you provided, I think you have the following actions to do :

1. Upgrade Jira 6.3.4 to Jira 7.0.11 - this is needed as there are big changes with Jira 7
  2. Upgrade from Jira 7.0.11 to Jira 8.5.4 - this will help with a smooth migration as many items are better migrated to Cloud with a recent Jira version
  3. Follow Atlassian migration guide for Jira : I would suggest doing the "backup and restore" instead of using the Cloud Migration Assistant, because the assistant will leave a lot of stuff behind.

If you don't have a lot of custom scripts or addons, you should not have to perform any DB manipulations. I've done a few migrations and most of them are actually not that hard, but it will definitely depend on how many issues, workflows, projects etc you have.

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

PavelKarpenka April 24, 2020

Hello @Alexis Robert ,

Thank you for your quick answer and clarification.

We will proceed with these upgrades and then will try backup/restore procedure.

Thanks a lot!

Pavel

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2020

You're welcome ! Don't hesitate to mark this thread as "Answer Accepted" , this way it will help others with the same issue later :)

Thanks !

PavelKarpenka April 24, 2020

Sure, Alexis, thank you!

victor.martinez August 19, 2022

about doing a backup to import it somewhere, just to be it easier, not all admins have access to the disk of the jira server... I think it would be great if JIRA would let us download it from JIRA (as the logs) https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-74216

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events