Is it possible to migrate dashboards and filters from server to cloud?

fkeller-dm July 26, 2020

Hello,

we are evaluating a migration from Jira server to cloud atm. As we do not want to use the xml backup method to clean the instance also up a bit during this migration, the question is if we can also migrate dashboards and filters from the server instance to the cloud instance without having to use the xml method. 

3 answers

Suggest an answer

7 votes
Ramona Scripcaru
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2020

Hi @fkeller-dm

Dashboards can only be migrated using the XML restore, some filters can also be migrated using the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant that can help you migrate project by project, for a full list with what is migrated and what isn't you can check out this article: 

Cheers!

Ramona

Atlassian Cloud team

Abbas Heidari September 7, 2020

Hi @Ramona Scripcaru

I have a couple of questions regarding Shared Filters migration in a Server to Cloud migration via Jira Cloud Migration Assistant: 

• Which Shared Filters can not be migrated? Are those the ones that are not associated with Project Boards e.g Scrum and Kanban?
  • If they cannot be migrated via JCMA, is there any workaround to migrate over  1000 Shared Filters?

Regards,

Abbas

dhirendra Singh February 26, 2021

you are correct filter should be shared with one project and it should be used in one board.

unfortunately I do not see workaround for filter or dashboard only option as of now manually create on behalf of user which is time consuming task 

Abbas Heidari June 19, 2021

Thanks @dhirendra Singh !

Jean Dupree May 5, 2022

Is there a way to export all filters from the database so at least we have the JQL to copy and paste?

Like # people like this
Jean Dupree June 7, 2022

@Ramona Scripcaru if XML was the only option why was site import taken away? This is a LOT of manual work, especially for an admin that has the sole responsibility of migrating everything.

Nikki Dorado June 20, 2022

Unfortunately the dark features that were supposed to enable the migration of custom filters and dashboards no longer work too. Manually recreating filters and dashboards is fine if there's only a few of them, but is absolutely time consuming if we're talking of hundreds or thousands of filters and dozens of dashboards. Like Jean asked previously, is there a way to export filters and dashboards so that we can import them in Jira Cloud? 

Like # people like this
Robert Horan
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
July 13, 2022

@Nikki Dorado I wouldn't say the dark features no longer work.  You need to use an older version of the JCMA (1.6.5) after migrating the primary content.  Drop us a line if you'd like to know more.

Nikki Dorado July 13, 2022

Hey Rob, could you point us to the relevant document which covers this if one is available? I'm sure other community members would be keen as well. 

Like Robert Horan likes this
Robert Horan
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
July 13, 2022

I wrote this post somewhat recently, and it should have links to all the docs you need.  

Blog 

That will take you as far as getting dashboards.

There are two other dark features you can try, but before trying to use them - in a test environment first - I would strongly recommend opening a support ticket with Atlassian and seeing if there are any caveats or pre-checks that need to be run first.

Robert Horan
Solutions Partner
July 13, 2022

Try these - for some reason I cannot post the text, so...

DFs.png

Having said that, I have not been able to find current, active documentation for these features, and maybe there's a good reason for it.  So again, before using them, contact Atlassian first.

Like # people like this
Nikki Dorado July 13, 2022

Thanks heaps Rob, I'll give this a try.

Like Robert Horan likes this
Robert Horan
Solutions Partner
July 13, 2022

Glad to help!  Just be sure to take precautions:

• Test in a non-production cloud site first
  • Migrate all of your content to the cloud before enabling any of the dark features.
  • Once that's done, you'll need to create a dummy project to kick off the dark feature migration.  Be sure to clean up the junk after.
Like Brian Hill likes this
1 vote
Brian Hill May 29, 2023

Note also that there is a separate guidance article for migration of Dashboards, in https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/how-to-migrate-all-dashboards-with-the-jira-cloud-migration-assistant-jcma-1103430546.html

Given the reliance of Dashboards on Filters pre-existing, the Filters need to be migrated first, then disabling the filter+boards dark features before applying the dark features for Dashboards to migrate and running another dummy migration. The article makes it pretty clear, but recommend familiarising with both and doing some rehearsals.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events