Implications of connecting GSuite domain to Atlassian cloud

Mohamed Lrhazi March 2, 2020

I connected our GSuite domain as part of my testing migrating our confluence server to Atlassian cloud... I found out Atlassian emailed every account in the domain to welcome them! 

This weekend Atlassian notified all domain accounts that have Trello accounts that they need to create and migrate to personal accounts, if they do not want their accounts to be managed by our University.

I have many questions, if anyone could help me out:

1: What exactly does it mean that a user's account is now managed by the domain (The University in our case)?

-- Does it mean the University can see their content? censor it? delete it?...

-- Does it mean the university pays for the account?

2: Can we restrict our management and payments, only to the accounts we choose to manage, to use just confluence product?

3: Would all be back to normal if we disconnected the domain? Users who had Atlassian accounts just recover whatever plans they used to have...

Thank you so much.

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2020

Hi @Mohamed Lrhazi,

When you connect your G Suite account, it verifies that you own the domain associated with your G Suite account (see https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/verify-a-domain-for-your-organization-873871234.html for more info).

When this happens, all existing Atlassian accounts that are tied to an email address that belongs to your domain, like user@acme.com if you claimed acme.com, become managed accounts of your organization, so the email that is sent to them lets them know that their account is now managed by your organization (https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/managed-accounts-873871203.html)

As covered in that doc, managing accounts give you administrative control of that account. You can modify the email address, deactivate it, or delete it. It does not give you permission to see the content that account owns. This is a free feature, it does not mean you begin paying for anything associated with that account.

2: Can we restrict our management and payments, only to the accounts we choose to manage, to use just confluence product?

Currently it's not possible to only manage a subset of user accounts. If you have connected G Suite, all users on the domain associated with your G Suite will be managed by your organization. However, that does not mean that you have to grant all users in your G Suite access to Confluence. You can still use product access groups to control which users actually have a seat in Confluence. https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/update-product-access-settings-744721629.html

3: Would all be back to normal if we disconnected the domain? Users who had Atlassian accounts just recover whatever plans they used to have...

If you disconnect G Suite, users will be notified that they are no longer managed by your organization. Everything else would go back to normal.

Hope this helps!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events